× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX1800 Asking For Sign In

Ephy
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX1800 Asking For Sign In

My girlfriend recently purchased a Nighthawk AX1800 to separate her computer from her family's internet, ATT. Only a few days old. It's saying no internet on her computer. She can't log in, and when she reset the password and tried to log in, it denied her password again. She can connect to the internet just fine, access any page, but the Microsoft store tells her she's offline when she attempts to download an app from it. Her phone gives her the same warnings, but loads webpages just fine. She also can't log into the router with the nighthawk app.

This is very frustrating for her. We will do a factory reset on the router soon, but we were hoping to get answers to possible workarounds or even just why this happens in the first place. After looking around at forum posts here, it appears she's not alone and this is an issue across many different products in the netgear lineup.

Message 1 of 8
Ephy
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX1800 Asking For Sign In

For further reference, she's connected via the WiFi on the 5Ghz band, she cannot connect via an ethernet cable (kind of hard to bring a tower computer out to the front room). This is happening across multiple browsers, devices, and services.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its because att has their own modem/router gateway device. And the netgear is in router mode. Its 2 routers running in router mode on the network. It causes a double nat 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Options? only use 1. 

1. put the att device in passthrough/modem only mode

2. Put the netgears IP address into the ATT's DMZ

3. Put the netgear into access point mode. 

Message 3 of 8

@Ephy wrote:

My girlfriend recently purchased a Nighthawk AX1800 to separate her computer from her family's internet, ATT.

That's not how routers work. As @plemans explains, you can't put two of them together like that.

It might help if you said what this AX1800 device is.

AX1800 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Whatever she bought, it isn't one of the Nighthawk routers covered in this bit of the Netgear community.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

@Ephy wrote:

After looking around at forum posts here, it appears she's not alone and this is an issue across many different products in the netgear lineup.

That's true.  But you'll see the same thing with any brand of router misused in this way.

A lot of people make the same mistake and try slapping two routers together. It isn't though anything to do with Netgear's technology, which is working as designed.

I have no idea what sort of separation she hopes to achieve. If she is sharing an Internet connection, it is going to be difficult to achieve absolute separation.

It might be better to start with an explanation of her objective and then to seek help rather than to invest in hardware that might not be designed for the job.

A fourth option to add to the list from @plemans would be for her to subscribe to a separate Internet service. That would provide the most secure separation.

Message 4 of 8
Ephy
Aspirant

Well, AX1800 literally what it said on the box and, yes, that IS how routers work. It creates a different subnet, separating her computer from the subnet the rest of her family is on. Main reason we got it was because the ATT modem's WiFi transceiver was kicking her off if she pulled too much bandwidth. They have a LOT of devices hooked into the WiFi.

The model number (pulled from Best Buy) is: RAX10-100NAS so maybe that will help better.

Message 5 of 8
Ephy
Aspirant

I don't have that issue with my TP Link, and ATT does not allow Bridged/Passthrough on their modems.

Message 6 of 8
Ephy
Aspirant

I would also like to mention that I talked to support and they went through some internal documentation. This IS a firmware issue that the techs and devs are working on fixing.

Message 7 of 8
Ephy
Aspirant

Okay. Double checked my own, personal router (which is a TPLink Archer A6) and it is, indeed, running in router mode. This does NOT cause a double NAT issue with my ATT Modem/Router. The modem/router is in the same state it was when we got it, with some ports opened and WiFi channels changed. My devices hooked up via WiFi to my TP do not throw issues, and my PC, which is hardwired to the router, does not throw issues either. My ATT Modem is the exact model as hers, and hers has never had any settings changed or ports opened because nobody in her house understands technology much past "turn it off and on."

This alone tells me that this is an issue with NETGEAR hardware or firmware, not the settings or mode her new router is in. As mentioned, without a factory reset of the router, we have no access to it or its settings whatsoever, as it seems to trash the admin login after some time, and the default password does not work either. So no. I don't think your answers are sufficient.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7