Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk AX1800 Mesh Wifi 6 MK63S - Satellite Connection Question and Fios Router question

Charllaire
Follower

Nighthawk AX1800 Mesh Wifi 6 MK63S - Satellite Connection Question and Fios Router question

I recently purchased the AX1800 MK63S WiFi Mesh system.  I have set it up with my Fios router on my first floor.  I have Satellite 1 on the second floor.  I have Satellite 2 on the 3rd floor.  When the Satellites connect, they either each connect to the router separately or the connect in series with Satellite 1 on the 2nd floor connnecting to Satellite 2 on the 3rd floor then Satellite 2 connecting to the router on the first floor.  It seems like there's significant signal loss between the Router and Sat2 so either of the configurations doesn't help the WiFi situation on our 3rd floor.  I'd like it to go Router to Sat1 to Sat 2 in series.  I cannot figure out how to connect it that way though.  Whenever i try, Sat2 always connects first or the both connect separately.  

Second Question.  Should I turn off the WiFi on my Fios router?  

Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk AX1800 Mesh Wifi 6 MK63S - Satellite Connection Question and Fios Router question

@Charllaire wrote:

Second Question.  Should I turn off the WiFi on my Fios router?  

What is this Fios router? Make and model?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but Mesh systems aren't the same as plain vanilla routers, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Mesh System - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7