Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX4: RAX35 - Not broadcasting WiFi ISP after firmware upgrade

vpafi
Follower

Nighthawk AX4: RAX35 - Not broadcasting WiFi ISP after firmware upgrade

Hello, I powered on my Nighthawk AX - AX3000 (Model: RAX35) router this morning and noticed that we've had no wired or wireless internet connectivity on any of our home devices. Contacted our ISP (Frontier) and confirmed no outages in out area Logged into the router and noticed that a newer firmware version (V1.0.3.94_1.0.1) was available. Completed the firmware upgrade and wired internet connectivity was restored. However, my ISP's SSIDs are no longer being broadcast by the router. Please note that wireless in enabled on the router since I can see the two NETGREAR SSIDs being broadcast.

Any assistance on this issue would be much appeciated. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX4: RAX35 - Not broadcasting WiFi ISP after firmware upgrade

Your ISP's wifi isn't showing anymore? 
not sure what the netgear router would have done to the ISP's device

Message 2 of 3

Re: Nighthawk AX4: RAX35 - Not broadcasting WiFi ISP after firmware upgrade

@vpafi wrote:

Hello, I powered on my Nighthawk AX - AX3000 (Model: RAX35) router this morning and noticed that we've had no wired or wireless internet connectivity on any of our home devices. Contacted our ISP (Frontier) and confirmed no outages in out area

The ISP has nothing to do with your wifi. That is down to your router. No point in asking them.

@vpafi wrote:

However, my ISP's SSIDs are no longer being broadcast by the router. Please note that wireless in enabled on the router since I can see the two NETGREAR SSIDs being broadcast.

Does this mean that there you usually see some "non Netgear" SSIDS?

If so that suggests that you have a modem/router that connects you to the Internet. (Maybe that's what you mean by ISP's SSIDs.) What is this modem?

You may be trying to get two routers to cooperate. A bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@vpafi wrote:

Logged into the router and noticed that a newer firmware version (V1.0.3.94_1.0.1) was available. Completed the firmware upgrade and wired internet connectivity was restored.

So, your router connects to the Internet.

During the update process it may be tat your router RAX35 tried to compensate for the "two router" conflict and has messed around with your local wifi settings.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7