Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX6 Speed rop

lawsjr
Tutor

Nighthawk AX6 Speed rop

Just installed the Nighthawk AX6 router. I am getting 800 or more Mbps from the modem. The router will do this and then drop to 10% or that or less down to 90 or even 24 mbps. Nothing  has changed or does change when this happens. 

Anyone have any ideas as to why? 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX6 Speed rop

that xfinity gateway is its own router.

It causes a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

have you tried putting the xfinity into modem only mode?

or the netgear into access point mode? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

we'd need more info. 

1. what router did you install? AX6 isn't a model number. look at the label

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. how are you testing speeds? details are key. testing wired/wirelss/what bad/what device/what app. 

Message 2 of 7
lawsjr
Tutor

we'd need more info.

1. what router did you install? AX6 isn't a model number. look at the label Model# RAX 50

2. what firmware is on it? V1.0.2.82_2.0.50

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? Xfinity xFi Gateway 3rd Generation CGM4331COM

4. how are you testing speeds? details are key. testing wired/wirelss/what bad/what device/what app. I have used several tests sites.  Ookla is one and so is Xfinity speed test. I have also ran the speed test inside the router for the QoS.  I have ran the speed tests hard wired to the router with two different desktops. I have also ran the speed test with a laptop wired directly into the XFi Gateway. That test is always at 800 to 900 Mbps when connected directly to the XFi Gateway.  Just like today at 0700 speed test is 90. Yesterday at 1100 it was 900. Last night it was at 90 again and then back to 800 after getting into the router and looking at the setting and applying the non enabled QoS and maual set speeds of 800 upload and 25 down load. I have to routers doing exactly the same thing. One is the nighthawk the other is an ASUS. So it doesn't seem to be the cabling it has to be something or a setting that isn't working right in both routers. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

It causes a double nat. 

Message 4 of 7
lawsjr
Tutor

I tried the access point I thought and it didn't work but will again. The only issue I see with that is that I am feeding another wireless router from the Netgear Nighthawk. If it set the nighthawk to access point will it still pass through or feed the other router? 

It causes a double nat. 

Message 5 of 7
lawsjr
Tutor

Fixed it. Set the router to Wireless AP and also changed the port on the Xfinity XFi gateway.  So far everything is working just fine

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad it fixed it!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements