Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk C7000 Comcast Extreme Pro 400Mbps - not getting the speed

wz5257
Aspirant

Nighthawk C7000 Comcast Extreme Pro 400Mbps - not getting the speed

I had xfinity Blast Pro Internet service and was getting 200-220Mbps download speeds.  I just upgraded to Extreme Pro, their 400Mbps service, but can not get more than the 220Mbps speed with my C7000 (cable modem/wifi router combo).  I called xfinity customer service and they said that ‘all is fine on their end’ after running their tests.  I asked them to:  “ *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to it.” (as found in an xfinity forum.)  They said that the the modem didn’t need to be reprovisioned and that I had the correct boot file for my modem and plan. They said there was nothing else they could do and to call Netgear. 

The C7000 is on their approved product list for the 400Mbps plan.  Surely someone has it working with xfinity 400Mbps service. Am I missing some setting in the configuration screens of the device?  

Help!  And thank you.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@wz5257 wrote:

I run it from an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro, both with 802.11ac wifi capability.  The traffic between either of those devices and my C7000 should be able to get above 400Mbps, right?

Unlikely. Wifi speeds are not the same as wired speeds. A wired connection could get as near as possible to the speed that the internet service delivers. Wifi? Some hopes.

The speed you get depend on many things, including the capabilities of the wifi clients and the wifi source.

I would forget about the router and do some research on the speeds that I could expect from my wifi clients. These sites, for example:

802.11ac vs 802.11n - What’s the difference between the Wi-Fi standards? | Trusted Reviews

How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Network?

suggest that your wifi speed is pretty near the expected limit for 802.11ac.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies

@wz5257 wrote:

I just upgraded to Extreme Pro, their 400Mbps service, but can not get more than the 220Mbps speed with my C7000 (cable modem/wifi router combo). 

Is that a wifi speed or a LAN speed?

Message 2 of 8
wz5257
Aspirant

That’s the speed from the results of the speed test I run from speedtest.net.  I run it from an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro, both with 802.11ac wifi capability.  The traffic between either of those devices and my C7000 should be able to get above 400Mbps, right?

Does that answer your question?  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8

@wz5257 wrote:

I run it from an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro, both with 802.11ac wifi capability.  The traffic between either of those devices and my C7000 should be able to get above 400Mbps, right?

Unlikely. Wifi speeds are not the same as wired speeds. A wired connection could get as near as possible to the speed that the internet service delivers. Wifi? Some hopes.

The speed you get depend on many things, including the capabilities of the wifi clients and the wifi source.

I would forget about the router and do some research on the speeds that I could expect from my wifi clients. These sites, for example:

802.11ac vs 802.11n - What’s the difference between the Wi-Fi standards? | Trusted Reviews

How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Network?

suggest that your wifi speed is pretty near the expected limit for 802.11ac.

Message 4 of 8
wz5257
Aspirant

Thanks for the response and info, Michael.  It does help me to understand the issues better.

I did connect a laptop directly to my Netgear C7000 and got 480Mbps download speed, so, Xfinity wasn't lying when they said that everything on their end was good-to-go.  I unplugged the ethernet cable and connected to the 5Ghz Wifi connection and only got around 240Mbps while in the same room.  

So to your point, my wifi speed is dependent on the wifi capabilities of the Netgear C7000 and the 802.11ac wifi card in my Macbook Pro...among other things like distance, interference, walls, etc.

From testing it multiple times, it looks like that maxes out at 230-250Mbps of Internet download speed.  Though I am getting 527Mbps Tx speed over my network connection, per the Network Utility on the Mac.  Would be nice if that would translate to download speeds over the Internet.

Know of any wifi router tweaks that can improve the speed you're getting?

Thanks, again!

Message 5 of 8

@wz5257 wrote:

Know of any wifi router tweaks that can improve the speed you're getting?

I thought we had concluded that the problem is your wifi clients. So there is nothing you can do to the router to make things go faster.

Out of interest, what do you do that needs even faster wifi? The speeds you get are well over the requirements for streaming or anything else I have encountered.

What on earth can you be doing that needs a wifi connection at 400Mbps? I am stuck at 75 Mbps for the internet. This is way faster than anything I need. The biggest roadblock is the speed of my PC and its various processors.

Message 6 of 8
wz5257
Aspirant

On the wifi router settings, I was just curious if there were any settings that may optimize things overall.  There are a lot of different settings I don't understand:  WMM, MTU, Fragmentation Length, CTS/RTS Threshold, WMF, PMF, ATF,....to name a few.  Wondered if anyone had played with any combination of them that eaked out a few more Mpbs.

On why I need the speed:  2 adults, 4 kids, each with cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. several wireless cameras, a couple of Alexa devices, a couple of smart TVs on wifi, a couple of other computers, OOMA telephone service,...and probably a few more devices I've forgotten about.  Lots of YouTube and Netflix video streaming.  All in a 5000+ sq ft house.  Saw a deal to upgrade to 400Mbps and took it.  I've played with extending our wifi network with an old wifi router and a wifi extender.  To get some of that speed down to the basement, (where my oldest lives) I may get a mesh network setup or break down and run some ethernet down there.  (or maybe powerline adapters...they seem to be getting better)

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8

@wz5257 wrote:

On why I need the speed:  2 adults, 4 kids, each with cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. several wireless cameras, a couple of Alexa devices, a couple of smart TVs on wifi, a couple of other computers, OOMA telephone service,...and probably a few more devices I've forgotten about. 

In that case, you do not want all of your wifi devices working at 400 Mbps. That would only cause congestion. Think of it like everyone driving in the fast lane. It soon gets clogged up and everyone slows down. Much better to have some slower moving traffic that does not need the speed.

You want all of those devices to share your bandwidth, not  monopolise it. If your wifi device rushed along at top speed, where would that leave everyone else?

Unfortunately, the C7000 does not seem to support "QoS", which would allow you to control who gets to drive in the fast lane.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7