Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D8500 - slow speeds, but it is receiving full speed from ISP

Wolfenstein98k
Aspirant

Nighthawk D8500 - slow speeds, but it is receiving full speed from ISP

Current firmware (already checked), factory reset, no QoS. 

Using the router's inbuilt speedtest (in the QoS menu, while QoS is turned off), the router sees 256Mbps down, 24.70Mbps up. This is what I pay for,

However any device connected wirelessly to the router sees the correct Upload (around 22Mpbs), but only gets 16Mbps Down. It was getting 70 every day for the past week (which is still way too low), but after running resets and troubleshooting, it is now maxing out at 17Mbps.

Lots of  people on this forum have this problem but none of their suggestions have worked.

Please note attached pics use the same speedtest service.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Wolfenstein98k
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D8500 - slow speeds, but it is receiving full speed from ISP

Here is the speed test running from a laptop, two metres away, connected via 5G.

Message 2 of 4
Wolfenstein98k
Aspirant

Okay, update after testing:
The advertised speed (250/20) is achieved when plugging into the Nighthawk directly. Running four tests within 30 seconds, alternating between plugged and WiFi, I got 255 / 10 / 256 / 14.

The problem is 100% with the WiFi DOWNLOAD speed only - even as I hold the PC next to the router, the UP speed is fine but the Down speed is less than 10% of the plugged in speed.

All settings are default after multiple factory resets and running the Genie/Wizard thing within the Netgear router website (192.168.0.1).

I am positive it is doing some shaping, but QoS is off and I can't imagine what else it could be.

Please help!

Message 3 of 4

@Wolfenstein98k wrote:

Current firmware (already checked), factory reset, no QoS. 

A number is the only the guide. "Already checked" depends on how you checked.

@Wolfenstein98k wrote:

Using the router's inbuilt speedtest (in the QoS menu, while QoS is turned off), the router sees 256Mbps down, 24.70Mbps up. This is what I pay for,

Not with the D8500 listed in your subject line. That is a DSL modem/router. DSL cannot deliver 256Mbp, unless you are measuring something like the link speed.

Maybe you mean the R8500. You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to DSL Modems. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message. It may take time, if it happens.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

@Wolfenstein98k wrote:

Lots of  people on this forum have this problem but none of their suggestions have worked.

Without a pointer to what they were doing, that tells us not much.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7