Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk EX8000 and intermittent home network connectivity problem

dzachau
Tutor

Nighthawk EX8000 and intermittent home network connectivity problem

My set up:

I have a Nighthawk RAX200 router connected to a  computer via ethernet connection in my home on the first floor.  I have a second computer connected to the network by WIFI on the second floor of my home.  The second floor computer on the newtwork is connected to WIFI through an EX-8000 Extender. 

I have successfully set up both computers on my home network in order to share folders/files.

The Problem:

After getting a successful connection, Intermittently I am losing the connection on the network between the two computers.  Could this be due to use of the Extender?  Are there settings in the router or extender I should change?

Thanks!

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

what channel are you using for the wireless backhaul on the extender? 
The RAX200 uses dfs channels and potentially you could be switching from a dfs channel to a standard channel because of dfs broadcasts. 

Message 2 of 7
dzachau
Tutor

Channel 7

Message 3 of 7
dzachau
Tutor

And, I am using 2.4 GHz only

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

for the backhaul?
the whole purpose of the EX8000 is the dedicated 5ghz backhaul. 

5ghz is much faster and doesn't suffer from as much interference as 2.4ghz. 

If all you're using is 2.4ghz, its kind of an expectation that the link will be slow and suffer from interference. 

Message 5 of 7
dzachau
Tutor

OK. Thank you for the feedback.  I will switch over to 5GHz and see if that results in better network connectivity with my other PC.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders
Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7