Re: Nighthawk Firmware Problems

wildpjdevils
Initiate

Nighthawk Firmware Problems

Do all of the Nighthawk routers have issues with the latest firmware update? I bought one from Costco and I had to reset it every day or two because we would lose Internet connection. I returned it and got a replacement and the same thing happened. Now I am looking at returning this one and getting a different Nighthawk (thinking the Costco version is faulty), but I have been reading a TON of reviews saying they have the same issues, regardless of which Nighthawk they have. Should I go to another brand or try my luck with another Nighthawk?

Message 1 of 8
Dave_Ybarra
Aspirant

Not Sure, But my netgear has the same issue and has the currently firmware loaded.

Message 2 of 8

Not knowing what device you are talking about, what you mean by the latest firmware update (numbers are more useful than "the latest", which may be no such thing) and what those problems might be, who knows?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 8
wildpjdevils
Initiate

I can give you those details, but ultimately, I am wondering if anyone has a Nighthawk router that DOES NOT need to be rebooted every day or two and without loading older firmware. It seems like my experience has matched most of the other feedback I have seen online so I am wondering if it is worth it to buy another Nighthawk or look elsewhere.

Message 4 of 8

@wildpjdevils wrote:

I am wondering if anyone has a Nighthawk router that DOES NOT need to be rebooted every day or two and without loading older firmware.

My R7800 works for weeks on end, maybe months, with no need to do anything. It just keeps on keeping on.

I can't say that for the R7000P, but that is in the middle of some hairy beta tests, with weird firmware.

Remember, this is the place where people come when they have problems. Trouble free users have better things to do with their lives.

@wildpjdevils wrote:

...I am wondering if it is worth it to buy another Nighthawk or look elsewhere.

Check the support forums elsewhere to see if they do a better job.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Luminary

@wildpjdevils wrote:

I can give you those details, but ultimately, I am wondering if anyone has a Nighthawk router that DOES NOT need to be rebooted every day or two and without loading older firmware. It seems like my experience has matched most of the other feedback I have seen online so I am wondering if it is worth it to buy another Nighthawk or look elsewhere.

I am running a two year old R7000 with firmware V1.0.9.30_10.2.33.  I use the VPN option heavily and have not had to reboot the router since the beta firmware was installed and configured on May 2, 2018.  I did the full 30-30-30 reset after the firmware was updated and prior to configuration.  I tried to run the router after the firmware was updated and prior to the full reset.  It was a mess.

If I had a current need to buy a router with VPN capability, I would look hard at the Asus RT-AC86U or Synology RT2600ac.

My setup: Comcast -> Netgear CM2050V -> Netgear R7800 (Voxel v. 1.0.2.89SF)

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's the sport of feedback that makes sense. Someone has a specific need and has detailed evidence. Much more useful than vague generic stuff on what may or may not go wrong.

While Netgear seems to see the R7000, and the R7000P that came later, as its mainstream routers, several users who know what they are about prefer the R7800 as a more robust and "professional grade" devices. I certainly find the R7800 to be more reliable, but I don't need things like Disney Circle, which seems to be aimed at more consumer grade hardware like the R7000.

Sadly, some buyers don't seem to check these things before they part with their money and wonder why their new hardware does not support something that it was not designed to offer.

Message 7 of 8
jevonM
Aspirant

@wildpjdevils wrote:

Been a Netgear router user for about 7 years. The R7000 is the 3rd model I've owned. I'm never an early adopter of their router firmware updates because of the outrageous number of problems users have had and continue to have. V1.0.9.18 for the R7000 has been particularly nasty for lots of owners and it seems no matter how many fixes Netgear has released since, many many folks still have issues with their wifi going down, and having to reboot the darn things every day. I'm still using V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and although I may be passing on some security patches for the unit I won't ever allow a later version of V1.0.9 to touch my router which operates without issues. I can't afford to be down and frankly don't want to go through the pain and wasted time so many R7000 users have had to (and continue to) endure with this series of updates. I simply don't understand how the engineers got it so wrong and why they can't seem to get it right.

I know every model of every brand can have issues, but Never again Netgear. The fiasco with the 1.0.9x update was painful to even just read about. V1.0.9.12 will stay on my unit until I'm ready to switch to an Asus or some other brand. Good luck @wildpjdevils.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E