× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk LAX20 continuously resetting 4G LTE connection: SOLVED...I think

mctalks
Star

Nighthawk LAX20 continuously resetting 4G LTE connection: SOLVED...I think

This is for anyone with a Nighthawk LAX20 WIFI 6 router who may be having issues with the 4G LTE connection constantly resetting. As you know, trying to get work done while constantly losing the internet connection, even for just a few seconds is tedious and frustrating.

I don't have access to cable internet where I live, so I'm using my LAX20 with 4G LTE only ( Verizon Wireless ). It's great, when it works, but as described above, the connection kept resetting every few minutes, particularly when uploading/downloading files and using the Firefox browser at the same time. I tried everything on both the router side and computer settings side with no luck. I also disabled my Kaspersky virus protection and that didn't help either. Finally, I just uninstalled Kaspersky and the problem vanished. Obviously, I can't go with no virus protection at all, so after doing a good deal of research, I installed Avira. So far so good. I don't understand why simply disabling Kaspersky didn't fix the problem, but I'm not complaining. So far, I've been able to use the internet like a normal person, and my stress level is way, way down! LOL

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience. If I start having this issue again, I'll be back to let everyone know.

Message 1 of 13
bworkman
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk LAX20 continuously resetting 4G LTE connection: SOLVED...I think

I just got off the phone with Netgear support and believe it or not, reseating the SIM seems to have fixed the issue for me for now. They had me reseat the SIM while the device was powered on and I was a little leery as the instructions say to make sure the device is powered off but it turned out OK. Don't expect any further technical support than that though as the product is not setup in the call tree and the support person I worked with did not know the product well and could not find any documentation on it. 

Message 2 of 13
bworkman
Aspirant

Well you can scratch that last post... it's still dropping...

Message 3 of 13
mctalks
Star

My solution was to uninstall Kaspersky virus protection completely and the problem immediately went away. I had tried simply disabling it but that didn't help, only a complete uninstall. I'm using Avira free now and haven't had drops since.

Message 4 of 13
SouthernSky
Aspirant

You disabled Kaspersky on your LAN and the LAX20 didn't go red again?  Or did you change a setting in the router itself?

I'm having the same issue but not using Kaspersky.  Router keeps going red, may turn green for a few, then goes red again.  Signal is fine.  Looking for ideas,

Message 5 of 13
mctalks
Star

Did you read my comment? I think I was pretty clear. As I said, disabling Kaspersky did NOT solve the problem, but completely UNINSTALLING it did. I never mentioned router settings.
Message 6 of 13
mikeadamsnc
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion! Every time I opened up my laptop it would cut the 4g (Verizon) on and off as you described above and would not happen with any of my other devices (phones, tablets). I didn't have Kaspersky installed but I had an Endpoint for Malwarebytes running and uninstalling that immediately fixed the problem. I hope this is something Netgear will address in a firmware update as virus protection is a must for most people.

Message 7 of 13
mctalks
Star

I'm glad  you were able to solve this most annoying problem as well. I agree with you that Netgear really does need to address this in a firmware update. Speaking of firmware, there hasn't been an update for the LAX20 in quite a while.

Hint, hint....
Message 8 of 13
Chev
Aspirant

What steps did you take to uninstall the software???
Message 9 of 13
mctalks
Star

As you know uninstalling software with windows or even its own Uninstaller doesn't always fully remove a program, and virus protection software is the WORST when it comes to leaving crap behind. I've had very good luck with a program called Revo Uninstaller. It not only removes a program, but searches the registry for anything left behind giving you a complete uninstall.
Message 10 of 13
IamGr00t
Aspirant

If I'm understanding this scenario correctly, a LAN connected client with AV software caused the LAX20 to drop LTE connection. So in theory, if the LAX20 is booted up and connected to internet via LTE, and has NO LAN client connected at all and it still drops, there must be more than one reason for this behavior. 

I've been told by Verizon that the LAX20 is not compatible with their network.  Hard to believe that, but they won't help troubleshoot or indicate why it might be dropping. But similar to this thread, I might resort to another brand of LTE Router.

Message 11 of 13
dee2dee
Aspirant

I have the same issue and can assure you has nothing to do with antivirus or LAN. Mine is running without and it is not connected to LAN only LTE. There is also nothing left behind as the network environment is completely virgin. The device will randomly drop service and the only way to get it back is to restart it. There is no pattern for the drop off and it is not carrier related as I have tried multiple carriers. 

Perhaps this has something to do with the VPN? just throwing some spaghetti. I don't have the knowledge to test that theory. NetGear please fix this!

Message 12 of 13
mctalks
Star

As my original post states, I don't have a LAN connection either, only LTE. Regarding the anti-virus, you're probably right in that, while it seemed to help for a while, it clearly was not the underlying problem. A few months ago, I created a new post in which I pointed out a success. My solution ended up being something that should have been obvious to me from the beginning. In settings, under Internet/PDP Type, I had mine set to PDP-IP v4v6, which is for those who use a LAN connection and the LTE as a back-up. I was unaware that it would affect my LTE connection. Perhaps using that setting with no Ethernet/cable modem attached caused the problem, but after I switched that setting to PDP-IP( IPv4 ), I haven't had a drop since and it's going on 4 months. You may have a different issue, but this absolutely worked for me and I hope it gives others something else to look at as a possible solution. Good luck!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7