Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk -- Lights are all on, but nobody home

MamaBubba
Aspirant

Nighthawk -- Lights are all on, but nobody home

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000.  This past week, I found that I could no longer connect to either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi.  This has happened periodically over the past year or so, and, typically, simply requires a power cycle.  I did that.  Still nothing.  All of the appropriate lights are on, but no WiFi.  Additionally, no ethernet internet connection even though my computer is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable.  I've tried plugging the router directly into my T-Mobile gateway.  Nothing.  Keeping it plugged into the Ooma (which is plugged into the gateway).  Nothing.  I've tried powering it off and leaving the power cable unplugged all night before plugging it back in.  Nothing.  I've tried hitting the reset button.  Nothing.  I can't log in to the admin console of the router.  All I get is a "This site can't be reached" error.

Does this simply mean that the router is a goner and I need to get a replacement?  It's odd that all of the appropriate lights are lit up on the device, but none of the router functionality is working at all.  As of now, it's an expensive night-light.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk -- Lights are all on, but nobody home

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the WiFi LEDs ON and WHITE?

Check the wifi button on top of the router. Press it for 5 seconds then release. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 5
MamaBubba
Aspirant

Thanks for chiming in. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  I have no idea as I have no way of logging in to the admin console of this device.  I keep getting a "can't connect" type of error.
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  The NG router is connected to a T-Mobile Wi-Fi gateway -- model number KVD21, if that helps.  Before about April, though, it had been connected to a Netgear modem with Spectrum internet service.  Between the modem/gateway and the router is an Ooma device.  Has been working fine that way for *several* years.

Are the WiFi LEDs ON and WHITE?  Yes.  The WiFi LEDs are on (solid) and lit white.  I checked all of these two days ago vs. the guide I found online.  Here's what my router is showing currently:

Number

Function

Status

What this Means...

Power

On/white

Router is ready

Internet

On/Amber

Ethernet cable connection to the modem.

2.4 GHz

On/White

2.4 GHz WiFi radio is operating

5 GHz

On/White

5 GHz WiFi radio is operating

USB 1

Off

No USB device is connected

USB 2

Off

No USB device is connected

Ethernet 1

Off

No device is connected to this Ethernet port

Ethernet 2

Off

Ethernet 3

On/Amber

Powered-on device is connected to the Ethernet port

Ethernet 4

WiFi On/Off

On/White

WiFi radios are on

WPS On/Off

On/White

Can use WPS to join the WiFi network without typing in the WiFi password.

Check the wifi button on top of the router. Press it for 5 seconds then release.  It *was* lit white.  Now that I did that, it's off.  That didn't help. (Update:  Now, it's on again and lit solid white.)

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?  Yes.  For about the past year, every couple of weeks, the wifi would stop working -- even though all of the lights were on.  I'd turn everything off, leave it off for a minute or two, and then start everything back up again.  (I believe this is called power cycling.)  Every other time, this would work.  This time, it's not helping.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?  I did this a while ago, actually.  The router was not working well, and I wasn't able to log in to the admin console.  Somehow, neither the default nor the password I'd set worked to log me in.  I could reach the admin login, but couldn't *get* in.  At that time, I did a factory reset and then I was able to get logged in, reset the password, updated everything, and all was good.  This was probably last summer.  I'd been working from home since March 2020, so it was hard to find a time to be able to shut everything down without interrupting my work.

Now, I can't even *get* to the admin login.  I get a "you can't get here/timed out" sort of error.  I think this router is probably toast.  Agree?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router. 

I would try option #2 first with the NH router. 

You might disconnect the router from the ISP modem and factory reset the router with one wired PC connected to the router. See if you can get the setup wizard to appear in a web browser at 192.168.1.1

Message 4 of 5
MamaBubba
Aspirant

Thanks for all of the additional info.

Only reason I'd kept the router in place after moving to T-Mobile, really, was there are only 2 Ethernet ports in the gateway, and I need 3. (That, and the router has Circle built in which I pay for and use.)

BUT.... If the router isn't playing nice with the new gateway, perhaps a simpler move would be to get an Ethernet hub? Correct?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7