× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Cell Tower Connection

CWLBhelt
Follower

Nighthawk M1 Cell Tower Connection

Hello everyone, I am new to the internet scene simply because I just bought my first house and this is the first time I have ever had to deal with something like this. My neighborhood does not have an internet service provider currently so I decided to try the Nighthawk M1 until we do get it. There are multiple AT&T cell towers near me (closest 3 miles away), so I had no second thoughts on signal strength being an issue. However, when I look into the settings on my router, it is showing that I am connected to a cell tower 35 miles away, as oppose to one that is much closer. It does not give me an option to connect to a tower any closer than this one, and it is frustrating. I get H+ signal at best right now. Could anyone possibly shed some light on why this is happening? TIA

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk M1 Cell Tower Connection

Modem/routers are covered in another area of this web site, please go here, https://community.netgear.com/t5/English/ct-p/English, and select the proper forum. Someone familiar with that h/w might be able to help.

Message 2 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @CWLBhelt

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

To check network coverage in your area, you can do this by checking ISPs website or using OpenSignal app on your iOS and Android devices see https://opensignal.com/networks. 

Kindly compare the results. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
lborjas85
Aspirant

Hey friend,
Wanted to follow up on your question about connectivity and if you ever got it resolved. I’m currently going through the same issues. I have full bars on my M1 and my iPhone. Speeds on my iPhone are great but on my M1, I barely get 10mbps. My M1 will only connect with on H+ and I can’t find a way to connect it to 4G. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 4 of 5
Nitehawker
Aspirant

Hopefully you already resolved this, but I was wondering if you've tried switching the band region to LTE in your settings. If you have the app then it's in Settings>Network>Band Region>LTE. You can access it via a similar path through the web interface.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7