× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Mobile NOT compatible to Band 20

Mattestanz
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 Mobile NOT compatible to Band 20

Hello Netgear Community,
FYI the MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router is NOT compatible to Band 20 😞
I'm traveling through Italy for work, and I need a fast connection especially when I'm in extra-urban and rural areas, where (I just discovered) the Band used by carriers is Band #20 (800 Mhz). 

So my question to Netgear is: are you planning to release a firmware upgrade that will allow the M1 to connect to Band 20 - 800 Mhz?

Thank you,

Regards,
MS

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Nighthawk M1 Mobile NOT compatible to Band 20

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Message 2 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mattestanz

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

May we please know the exact model number of your MR1100? 

Please do check this reference link for the list of supported cellular bands: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060410/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 8
Mattestanz
Aspirant

Hello Blanca,

thank you for your reply.

My Nighthawk M1 is a model MR1100-100NAS Unlocked (I purchased it in New York, where I live).

According to the link you provided, this Model supports Band 20, but apparently my M1 doesn't.

Here's the thing, please check the image in the attachment, it refers to the Bands used here in Italy (where I'll be working for a few weeks):

Band 20 is used in the extra-urban and rural areas, and it happens I am based in one of those areas.

Here my Telecom Italia Mobile SIM card perfectly works on my iPhone XR (which definitely supports Band 20), it connects to 4G, and Download and Upload performances are pretty good.

BUT if I put the same SIM card into my Nighthakw M1 it doesn't even connect to the internet. Zero connection. 

UNLESS I take my car and move to the closest town (urban area) where it perfectly connects to OTHER Bands, and works great.

What do you think?

Is there anything I am missing here?

Thank you for your kind assistance,

Regards,

MS

Message 4 of 8

Some devices sold in the USA are locked down to wireless wavelengths that are available there.

They block you from using bands that are not allowed in the USA but that are available abroad.

Paradoxically, if you buy something outside the USA, it may support wavelengths in the USA and abroad.

I found this out with some Netgear wifi kit, an Orbi satellite. I managed to unpick the lock, but I have no idea how to do about that on the MR1100.

In this context, unlocked probably means not locked to a particular mobile network, rather than anything to do with the bands it can use.

This is all theorising on my part. I chip in because the Netgear people may not be allowed to divulge the secret combination, if there is one, that would let you get this to work in Italy.

Message 5 of 8
Mattestanz
Aspirant

I see, that makes sense.
Thank you Michael, I’ll be waiting for the final response from Netgear, and if there’s no solution I’ll replace the Nighthawk with another product.

Regards,
MS
Message 6 of 8

@Mattestanz wrote:
,,,if there’s no solution I’ll replace the Nighthawk with another product.

If you do the same thing, buy in the USA and export, you could well end up in the same boat.

Netgear doesn't write the rules. That is down to the regulators, especially the FCC. If they say "lock down the wireless bands", everyone has to fall in line if they want to sell in the USA.

The -100NAS bit at the end of the model number is the giveaway.

An MR1100-100EUS may be a very different animal.

With luck someone from Netgear will be able to confirm this.

You are not the first person to travel down this road.

Solved: Re: NightHawk MR1100 Telstra to Netgear Stock EU - NETGEAR Communities

There may be more where that came from.

Google is also stuffed with similar conversations.

Message 7 of 8
Mattestanz
Aspirant

Yes, I've been reading plenty of articles and posts, but there's no solution to this issue.

I'll have to replace the router with another product.
Thank you all for your kind assistance!
Best,
MS

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7