Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk MR60 can't connect to 5GHz

chojt
Tutor

Nighthawk MR60 can't connect to 5GHz

For some reason, my PC refuses to connect to the 5GHz network. I know it's not my PC issue because it actually connected to the 5GHz at first, but then changed to 2.4GHz by itself for no reason. Every other device connected to it just fine.

I've been trying to fix it by changing settings from the routerlogin.net page, but without the ability to set up separate SSIDs or even just disable 2.4GHz, I'm at a loss. Please help!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 can't connect to 5GHz

How far from the router is it? 

You can try going into your device manager on windows and selecting the adapter. Then go to the advanced tab. there'll be an option in there to prefer 5ghz. 

How to Change Preferred Band for Wireless Network Adapter in Windows | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Depending on distance though, it might not work the greatest as 5ghz speeds drop off quicker than 2.4ghz. But its initial speeds are much higher. Tough to know without testing them. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What pc is it? 

some have a setting for "prefer 5ghz" in the device manager settings. 

The MR60 allows bandsteering for devices to switch between 2.4ghz/5ghz based off its needs/distance from the router. 

Message 2 of 7
chojt
Tutor

Armaggeddon Falcom 3060-R5. I'm guessing I have to change something to the "Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200" under Network adapters?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

How far from the router is it? 

You can try going into your device manager on windows and selecting the adapter. Then go to the advanced tab. there'll be an option in there to prefer 5ghz. 

How to Change Preferred Band for Wireless Network Adapter in Windows | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Depending on distance though, it might not work the greatest as 5ghz speeds drop off quicker than 2.4ghz. But its initial speeds are much higher. Tough to know without testing them. 

Message 4 of 7
chojt
Tutor

Yup that worked, thanks a lot! 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

For your MK future needs, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk MESH products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH MESH products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@chojt wrote:

For some reason, my PC refuses to connect to the 5GHz network. I know it's not my PC issue because it actually connected to the 5GHz at first, but then changed to 2.4GHz by itself for no reason. Every other device connected to it just fine.

I've been trying to fix it by changing settings from the routerlogin.net page, but without the ability to set up separate SSIDs or even just disable 2.4GHz, I'm at a loss. Please help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7