Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk MR60 mesh - setup with router disabled

jszurek
Tutor

Nighthawk MR60 mesh - setup with router disabled

I have an existing wired network with an existing router that I wish to keep in place.  I recently bought a Nighthawk Mr60 3 pack system to to enhance my wifi.  So, I quickly discovered that the installation app is not nearly smart enough to handle my use case because it won't do anything at all if it can't connect to the Mr60 router from the outside world.  I figured out how to connect to the router with a web browser and turned off the router functionality, turning it into just another access point.  That looked like it worked, and the router setup says that the access point is active, but I can't find the SSID in the wifi links on my laptop.  What could I possibly be doing wrong here???

John

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 mesh - setup with router disabled

I don't have the MR system (few do) but have setup numerous orbi/mesh systems like that. 

Are you hardwiring in the satellites?

Or are you trying to connect them wireless? 

What router are you connecting the router to? 

When you have the MR60 router connected to the primary router, is the MR60 connected using its wan port? 

Are you able to access the MR60 in access point mode?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would start back fresh. 

Factory reset your MR60 and leave it disconnected from your current router. 

Hardwire into the MR60 for setup using its lan port. 

after you've ran setup, then switch it over to access point mode. 

Then connect its wan port to your current router. 

After that is done, then you should be able to log into the current router (not the mr60) and see what ip address was assigned to it. 

Use that to access it and to add satellites. 

Message 2 of 5
jszurek
Tutor

Thanks.  I will try again, but this is pretty much how I got where I am.  Once I discovered that the web app was useless I just took the router off the network, plugged my laptop into the router, and set it up like I would set up any router.  I set up the LAN to use DHCP.  I set the router to be in access point mode,  I gave the WAN an SSID and I made sure it was turned on and broadcasting its name.  I gave the Guest network a name and tirned it on.  Then I plugged the router's internet port into my existing router.  It correctly accessed the network, correctly used DHCP to pick up a new network address.  Then I looked at all the settings that I set and I said "It is all very good."  But then I tried to find the router on the list of available wifi networks.  It was not there.  Later last night I discovered 2 wifi networks:  BrcmAP0 and BrcmAP1.  They are live.  One appears to be 2.4 and the other appears to be 5.  They have NO security on them, despite the fact that I told the setup to apply security and gave it a password.  If I turn off the Guest network there is no effect on these broadcast SSIDs.  If I turn off the Broadcast SSID switch for the Wireless those two SSIDs still appear in the available networks list that my laptop sees.  I have also tried to add access points at the end of all this and they just never connect.  The satellite AP always shows a red light, no matter what I do.  If I plug a network cable into it I can see it on the network, but when I try to browse to that IP address I get a login page followed by this absolutely useless message and nowhere else to go on that page:

Your Satellite is not connecting to the network
    This is most likely due to one of the following reasons:
    Your Satellite might be too far away from the router.
    Turn the Satellite off, move it closer to the router and turn it back on. Wait two minutes for the Satellite to connect to the network.
    Your Satellite might not be set up correctly.
    Make sure that both your router and Satellite are turned on, then press the Sync button on both devices. Wait two minutes for the Satellite to connect to the network.

I will try it all again just to make sure, but I think that's a useless exercise.  What you have described to me is what SHOULD work, but do you know anybody who has actually done this with a MR60 device?   Regards, John

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I don't have the MR system (few do) but have setup numerous orbi/mesh systems like that. 

When you have the MR60 router connected to the primary router, is the MR60 connected using its wan port? 

Message 4 of 5
jszurek
Tutor

Ok, let's take these one at a time....

Tried both ways, and tried with the devices right next to each other and some distance apart.  In all cases the result was the same - after both devices blinking white for a while, the MR60 ended with a blue light and the MS60 with a red light.

My master router is an ASUS RT-N66U tied to a Spectrum cable modem.

Have tried it both ways, doesn't seem to matter, and I believe the manual says you can use either port in access point mode.

I am able to connect to the MR60 admin web interface while it is in AP mode, through which I can see everything and change anything.  Apparently I can also connect to the MR60 wifi channels using - OK, STOP in midsentence - I just came back from dinner and looked at my wifi "Available networks" SSID list.  The two odd unsecured networks I described in my last message were gone and they were replaced by the correct secured networks that I had set up 2 days ago.  So then I plugged in my MS60 satellite, and after 2 tries, one without a network and the second with a network cable, the MS60 light turned blue.  I searched around, and the only diffference I could see was that the MR60, which I had set to automatically download firmware upgrades, finally got around to loading the v1.0.6.116... upgrade (I think previous version was .112....).  So maybe this was a firmware issue that was fixed in the .116 firmware upgrade.  WOW!

Well, appreciate your help.  I think everything is now working the way it should.  Will give you the credit for the solution because you were a good listener.

Regards,

John

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7