Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Nighthawk X6 R8000 ac3200 router channels problem

ChristianWis
Aspirant

Nighthawk Nighthawk X6 R8000 ac3200 router channels problem

Hello,

I have a Nighthawk Nighthawk X6 R8000 ac3200 router.

I have wifi interference problems in my apartment, because there are many wifi signals on the same channels as my router.

The channels that I have very good availability are from channel 100 to channel 140, however the router does not allow the use of these channels.

How can i solve this problem ?

Is there any firmware that allows these channels to be used for the 5ghz network?

Thank you very much,

Christian

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you turn down the transmit power under wireless settings?

Are you using Smart Connect? 

What FW do you have loaded on the R8000? 

Message 2 of 6
ChristianWis
Aspirant

Can you lower the transmit power in the wireless settings?

I don't know how to do it.

Nope..

firmware version V1.0.4.76_10.1.82

Thanks for the help Christian

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Channels 100-140 are dfs channels. If you live in an area with military radar or weather radar, they might be in use and unable to be selected. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060371/What-is-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-NE...

In apartment living, its challenging because 2.4ghz is almost pointless. To start with its a slow network and sensitive to interference. When I used to live in an apartment, I made sure to only buy devices that supported 5ghz because it was so worthless to use 2.4ghz. So in terms of the 2.4ghz, I'd come close to writing it off. 

I'd focus on the 5ghz channels. Good thing about 5ghz is that it doesn't broadcast as far as 2.4ghz and it can't broadcast through as much materials. Plus, because its so much faster, if you are streaming/gaming, it can download the data at a quicker rate so the period of time where there's inference, it shorter. Meaning its more efficient. So even through you can see other 5ghz channels, usually there's a lot less interference from them. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I forgot that this model doesn't have any power controls. Otherwise if it did you could turn down the transmit power which would help you with noise and interferences from other near by wifi routers. Makes your routers wifi signal foot print smaller with in the home and less proan to interact with neighboring signals thus less wifi problems with in the home. If you live in a apt complex with lots of other wifi signals you may want to get into a router that has some transmit power controls. 

@ChristianWis wrote:

Can you lower the transmit power in the wireless settings?

I don't know how to do it.

Nope..

firmware version V1.0.4.76_10.1.82

Thanks for the help Christian

Message 5 of 6
ChristianWis
Aspirant

ok, so the solution should be to activate the DFS channels that my router does not have...

sniff

Or change my region:North America by europe.. but my region is static and do this not permit changes.

thank you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7