Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 Compatibility Question (Orbi)

DalGoda
Aspirant

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 Compatibility Question (Orbi)

I have probably made a terrible mistake. I have a Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800  that I am very happy with. I was told that I could connect an Orbi "mesh" system to it, to expand my coverage. Seemed to simple. I have a wired connection in the living room that I connected the unit marked "Router" into and the I set up the "Satelite" not to far away so I could set it up. The Orbi app complained it wasn't able to work with my Nighthawk, the nighthawk app I was asked to download,  just wanted to fiddle with the Nighthawk. I saw no sign of the two Orbi items. I am guessing that a router connected to a router just won't work and I have thrown $200 out the window. However, I figured I would ask since the documentation packaged with the product fit on an open matchbook cover.

So, did I waste money buying a seperate Wi-Fi system, or can I marry this to my Nighthawk and get coverage in a couple of areas in the home that are less than optimal now?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Did you switch the orbi to access point mode? I've had mine in app mode hardwired to a c7800 without issues. 3 satellites connected without problems.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
duckware
Prodigy

I personally would install ethernet from the router to the 'less than optimal' locations and install a new AP there (and many routers, like the R7800, can be setup as an AP).

Even if you can get the Orbi to work, you have router on top of a router, which can work, but will be very problematic for local devices that need access to other local devices (phone/laptop wanting to cast to the smart tv).  Next, you may run into channel contention with your main router wanting to use one wifi channel and the Orbi wanting to use two channels (dedicated backhaul model).  If you can use DFS channels in your area, this may not be a problem, but if you can't use DFS channels, this is an issue (without DFS channels, there are only 2 80 Mhz channels left).

Your R7800 is a very nice 4x4 wifi system.  The orbi will only be 2x2 to your clients devices.

Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

I agree with @duckware 

Use Access Points. If you can't pull long cables, you can connect it with powerline

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did you switch the orbi to access point mode? I've had mine in app mode hardwired to a c7800 without issues. 3 satellites connected without problems.
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

And once it's in AP mode, use the orbi app to control it.
Message 5 of 6
DalGoda
Aspirant

Thank you for all the ideas and help. I finally made it into the damn thing and got it set to an AP. That was all that was needed. The password on the bottom for wireless was incorrect. Once I connected a laptop via cable straight to it, I was able to logon and administer it, as well as set new passwords. Now to see if my coverage improves.

Thanks again!!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7