Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 MD5 Verify Error

aprayiii
Star

Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 MD5 Verify Error

Getting an MD5 Verify error when trying to install new firmware. I saw some old posts about this but nothing recent. Any advice appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 64

Accepted Solutions
aprayiii
Star

Re: Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 MD5 Verify Error

Wooohooo! Mine worked correctly. And BTW I did NOT have to do any sort of reset, just went to the update and it worked fine from a Chrome session connected wirelessly. 

View solution in original post

Message 59 of 64

All Replies
aprayiii
Star

I do find another post about this but that user is 22 versions behind. I am on V1.0.2.80 so just 1 behind.

Message 2 of 64
Kitsap
Master

Are you updating via wi-fi or over a direct ethernet connection?  Strongly recommend the direct ethernet connection.

Download a fresh copy of the firmware and make sure you remove the .img file from the downloaded zip file.

Message 3 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try using Firefox or MS Edge browser to send FW files. 

Message 4 of 64

Same, I'm just using the "Click here to get it" button in the GUI.  Haven't tried downloading it and installing it manually yet.

Message 5 of 64

I just did the manual update over a directly connected host, went through fine.

Message 6 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres a new version of FW out for the R7800.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@northwind79 wrote:

I just did the manual update over a directly connected host, went through fine.

Message 7 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

There is a new FW upate for the R7800:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-firmware-for-the-R7800/td-p/2185002/jump...

@aprayiii wrote:

Getting an MD5 Verify error when trying to install new firmware. I saw some old posts about this but nothing recent. Any advice appreciated.

Message 8 of 64
aprayiii
Star

Thanks everyone for the responses. I see the 2.90 version from the routerlogin.net console but a unable to update via wifi. Will have to try the suggestions made here and will report on progress when done. FWIW I have never had an issue updating via wifi in the past.

Message 9 of 64
aprayiii
Star

These other browsers did not work via wifi.

Message 10 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Its recommended that you not update router FW via wifi and use a wired PC and web browser to update FW on routers:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 11 of 64
aprayiii
Star

Yes, understood, have been doing it at my own risk. Just was pointing out that is has been working 🙂

Message 12 of 64

This update was odd, first one since I bought the router where the normal update method failed. Hopefully the future ones don't have the same problem!

Message 13 of 64

@northwind79 wrote:

This update was odd, first one since I bought the router where the normal update method failed.

There are several processes that you could call "normal update method". For many people it is the Nighthawk App. For others it is the update "button" browser graphical user interface (GUI). I used the third approach, a manual update, which worked fine here.

Message 14 of 64
aprayiii
Star

Downloading and updating via ethernet did work for me.

Message 15 of 64
Kitsap
Master

Message 16 of 64
aprayiii
Star

Hi - I thought I did. Does it not show as solved?

Message 17 of 64
Kitsap
Master

Yes, my error.

Message 18 of 64
aprayiii
Star

OK Great! No worries.

Message 19 of 64
enger
Tutor

This is NOT a complete response or solution.

Routers that ARE hardwired and using the Firmware Update facility BUILT-IN to the router itself  F A I L  with MD5 error.

Possibilities:

o  someone has uploaded a corrupted version of the new firmware to the server that is accessed by the Firmware Update system built-in to the router.    (or worse, a 3rd party has gotten into the server that is being accessed and tinkered with the file)

o  if a CDN is being accessed by the Firmware Update system built-in to the router, perhaps the CDN has cached a corrupted file???

o  the MD5 software on the R7800 router is somehow defective/incompatible?   

My router is running V1.0.2.82  which is pretty new!   Trying to move directly to V1.0.2.90 should be supported.

Since multiple folks are complaining, it seems unlikely that hardware-failure of the customers' equipment or ISP facilities are to blame.

If the only solution is to do a MANUAL firmware update, bypassing the automated capability that is built-in to the router itself, then that should be stated explicitly.  AND, someone from Netgear should go on the record to explain WHY the built-in firmware-update facility in the router is failing.  Some candor and openness would be welcome.

Message 20 of 64

@enger wrote:

AND, someone from Netgear should go on the record to explain WHY the built-in firmware-update facility in the router is failing.  Some candor and openness would be welcome.

For that to happen, Netgear needs to know what the issue is. There are ways of doing that, but first they need to know what the problem is.

You message throws in many things that have not come up before in this conversation. For example, no one previously mentioned problems with the "Firmware Update facility BUILT-IN to the router itself".

The first message from @aprayiii simply said: "Getting an MD5 Verify error when trying to install new firmware."

They said nothing about the process they used to update the firmware.There are several ways of doing the update.

The accepted solution was the manual update.

One problem with the R7800 is that it is a favourite with people of a technical turn of mind, so they don't go anywhere near automated updates and/or wifi updates. They are great fans of manual updates for the control. it gives. So there may not be as many horror stories with this router than with more mainstream routers.

A later message, from @northwind79, said "I'm just using the "Click here to get it" button in the GUI."

There was no response to my message about the different update processes.

Nor have I seen any reference to problems with using Router Auto Firmware Update.

Looking at this bit:

Since multiple folks are complaining, it seems unlikely that hardware-failure of the customers' equipment or ISP facilities are to blame.

Maybe I missed those multiple posts.

If you could provide pointers to some of those, and confirm exactly what update route caused the problems, then it should be easy to raise awareness with the technical folks at Netgear.

Message 21 of 64
aprayiii
Star

More detail: The error occured using the GUI for the router in a Chome browser on a laptop connected via wifi. Administration - Firmware Update. I have used this method for every prior update and never had an issue. However, since it was not obvious that this method was going to start working any time soon I used the manual update in the interest of getting it as soon as possible.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@enger wrote:

AND, someone from Netgear should go on the record to explain WHY the built-in firmware-update facility in the router is failing.  Some candor and openness would be welcome.

For that to happen, Netgear needs to know what the issue is. There are ways of doing that, but first they need to know what the problem is.

You message throws in many things that have not come up before in this conversation. For example, no one previously mentioned problems with the "Firmware Update facility BUILT-IN to the router itself".

The first message from @aprayiii simply said: "Getting an MD5 Verify error when trying to install new firmware."

They said nothing about the process they used to update the firmware.There are several ways of doing the update.

The accepted solution was the manual update.

One problem with the R7800 is that it is a favourite with people of a technical turn of mind, so they don't go anywhere near automated updates and/or wifi updates. They are great fans of manual updates for the control. it gives. So there may not be as many horror stories with this router than with more mainstream routers.

A later message, from @northwind79, said "I'm just using the "Click here to get it" button in the GUI."

There was no response to my message about the different update processes.

Nor have I seen any reference to problems with using Router Auto Firmware Update.

Looking at this bit:

Maybe I missed those multiple posts.

If you could provide pointers to some of those, and confirm exactly what update route caused the problems, then it should be easy to raise awareness with the technical folks at Netgear.

Message 22 of 64

Thanks. That's clearer now.

It means that we are not talking about the automated update process, or using the Nighthawk app to initiate the update.

That would make an interesting experiment, but I think we can leave that to Netgear's techies to play with their hardware.

Now we just need a bit of confirmation that this wasn't a one off at your end. It doesn't sound like it, but talk of "multiple folks" is on the vague side. One message I read elsewhere was with someone whose firmware was a few years, and many versions, out of date. Huge jumps are known to cause problems.

I don't recall seeing a flood of complaints when V1.0.2.90 landed. Maybe I missed them. The R7800 is generally once of the less troublesome devices on the firmware front, perhaps because it has avoided some of the bells and whistles that Netgear insists on hanging on to more popular routers.

Message 23 of 64

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=netgear+r7800+md5+verify+error

Multiple posts. Not to doubt a "guru" but thankfully I found this post when I was researching the problem, and was able to resolve it. I'm generally not one to assume but the *built in facility" to me would likely be something "built in" that updates the firmware on this router and also triggers the md5 error. I've had this router for quite some time, and this is the first hiccup, so it stood out enough for me to research and land here.

Of course, not all of us are gurus, just customers. I'd wager that someone who is "technical minded" might recognize the are several ways to accomplish the same task. While I am curious as to why this update out of however many I've performed since I bought the thing kicked off this error... I don't care enough to dig. Maybe I'm a guru too?

If the next update fails, I'll make sure to start a new post instead of chiming in to an existing one, just in case someone less "technically minded" hits the same problem.

Have a great day!
Message 24 of 64

If you can't be bothered to provide useful information, and prefer smartypants tricks, I think we can safely move on and wait for some sensible feedback.

What we need is a link or two to other messages where people report problems with updates to the latest firmware, not something put out years ago.

Given the various possibilities, it also helps to have a detailed description of what happened. Fortunately, that is just what @aprayiii did.

By the way, users have no control over the labels that get assigned to them. That is down to the algorithms that the community software uses. It is a pity there isn't a "cleverclogs" label.

Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7