Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk(R) X4s R7800 main router , connected 2 other routers but want one login to controll al

mel15
Star

Nighthawk(R) X4s R7800 main router , connected 2 other routers but want one login to controll all

1. I have 3 Routers.  My Main Router is R7800 Nighthawk it is connected to my modem on my main floor in center of house.

It also has 3 other devices connected via ethernet cables.  In addition it is

connected via ethernet to a switch in my basement.   

2. My 2nd router Netgear N600 is on main floor on far end of house and it has

three devices connected via ethernet cable to it.  This router connects to my

switch in basement. It provides wifi to this end of house.

3. My third router (TP link Ac1200) is upstairs and provides wifi to other end of

house and it also connects to switch in basement.

Everything works great but I have to connect to 3 different routers each time I want to operate a device thats connected to a different router.  (i.e.  Sonos is connected to N600 and thats on right side of house if I want to operate the sonos from the left side of house I have to go back to right side of house to connect to router #2 N600.  If I want to use my wireless printer from downstairs, I have to go upstairs to connect to router #3 TPlink or get close enough in range to use it.  

I have netgear Genie and I know how to login to it or to the router from the internet I just dont know what settings to change to get them to all use the same login.  Any help you could send my way is much appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk(R) X4s R7800 main router , connected 2 other routers but want one login to controll al

You can leave the ssid's the same or change them so you know which network is which. 

None of those routers are mesh systems so your devices will tend to stay connected and not roam like a mesh system would.

Benefit to a different ssid is that its easy enough to change. If the ssids are all the same, you disconnect the wifi and reconnect and hope it connects to the closer device. 

Some newer devices will roam or can have an app installed to program in auto roaming protocols  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Is the tplink and netgear N600 in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 16
mel15
Star

Can you tell me how to look to find out?

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

This is the guide for the wndr3400. 

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode after setting it up? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

the tplink you'd need to look up on their support site for your specific model

Message 4 of 16
mel15
Star

ok Thank you!  So you are saying I need to have them set up as an access point?  i was just looking at my Netgear N600 and it has a different ip of 10.0.0.1 instead of like my main which is the 192.etc.

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

Running more than 1 router in router mode ends up with your network running a double nat (triple in your case). 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

By putting the wndr and the tplink into access point mode, it should have all your devices on the same subnet. 

BTW, found this on tplinks site

How to configure TP-Link Router in Access Point mode?(case1) (tp-link.com)

Message 6 of 16
mel15
Star

Awesome thanks!  I just have one more question.  The first link you sent me says that by putting the router in ap mode that i will be disabling dhcp and port forwarding.  I am not sure what that means.  I need the extra ethernet ports on the N600 and tplink router.  it will not disable them will it?

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

it doesn't disable wifi or the ethernet ports. Just the internal routing. It leaves the primary router running that. 

Message 8 of 16
mel15
Star

Thank you!

Message 9 of 16
mel15
Star

I enabled the AP mode on my Netgear Router so I have my devices connected to the N600 now being able to be accessed from other end of house when i am connected to the Netgear Nighthawk!  So this is awesome!  I just have one more question.  Do i need to change the SSID and password of the N600 so it matches the Netgear Nighthawk or does it not matter.  Thank YOU SO......MUCH!  

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

You can leave the ssid's the same or change them so you know which network is which. 

None of those routers are mesh systems so your devices will tend to stay connected and not roam like a mesh system would.

Benefit to a different ssid is that its easy enough to change. If the ssids are all the same, you disconnect the wifi and reconnect and hope it connects to the closer device. 

Some newer devices will roam or can have an app installed to program in auto roaming protocols  

Message 11 of 16
mel15
Star

Thank YOU so...much!  I just got the TP link set up to.  I left ssids the way they were thought it might make it easier if something goes wrong easy to find maybe.  

Can't thank you enough!!

Message 12 of 16
plemans
Guru

Glad its working well!

Message 13 of 16
mel15
Star

Sorry to bother you.  I was wondering.  My 2nd router N600 WNDR3400 now set up as AP is only getting 20mbs when my main router NIghthawk R7800 is able to get 220mbs.  I dont expect the N600 to get 220 but 80 would be more acceptable my TPlink router #3 also an AP now gets 60 which is acceptable up there and its an even cheaper router than the N600.

I plugged my ethernet cord into N600 to see if I could check the channels and its now set to auto which is where i think it should be.  Its showing all my ssid's on same channel.  I have unplugged everything from N600 then powered it back up after 3min and then added internet and then other ethernet devices but that did not help speed either.   

The only other thing i know to check is the firmware and its version is V1.0.1.24 which I think is the latest one.  Can you recommend anything else?  Thanks

Message 14 of 16
plemans
Guru

are you speedtesting over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

5ghz is a much much faster network but it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. 

Check to see which band you're testing on for each. 

Message 15 of 16
mel15
Star

I am testing on the 5ghz.  My security cameras for my house have wireless antennas that transmit to either dvr or cloud to record.  They interfere with the 2ghz signal so I have everything connecting on 5g thats one reason I have 3 routers.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7