Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R600p Keeps dropping all wifi connections every minute or so on both bands

EmpokNor
Aspirant

Nighthawk R600p Keeps dropping all wifi connections every minute or so on both bands

Hello, I just got this router in today. I connected it, upgraded to the nearest firmware, and set it up with the very basic stock settings. Everything was working with no issues for about 3 hours and then it dropped all wifi. No one had touched any of the settings in this time. Connection to ethernet has had zero problems and hasn't dropped once. It is only the wi-fi that has been having issues.

As I said it worked great for about 2-3 hours and then the wifi stopped working. I rebooted the router to no effect. Over the past several hours it will connect for about 30s and then its gone again. It is effecting everything connecting to wifi.

When trying to reconnect via my phone it says out of range however I'm only about 6 feet from the router. The other devices connected on wifi, another PC, 3 phones(2 ios 1 android) a chromebook, a laptop, and an ipad are all perpetually disconnected and when I can get it to connect it only works for a few seconds(literally) before it stops working again.

I don't have a clue what to do or how to go about fixing this issue. Its very frustrating because it worked perfectly for a few hours and then it just stopped. Again, I am the only one with access to the settings and nothing was touched nor was it even accessed during that time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide any info needed including screenshots of all setting etc if needed just let me know what you need. Thanks so much.

Edit: A lights on the router are showing normally just as they were when it was working.

Also talked to another member of the household with an iphone and PC connected to the device. While my phone shows the router as out of range(again, I'm about 5 feet from the router) his phones states the password is incorrect(its not we wrote them down and I manually checked the password a few times. It also worked with that same password for a few hours. Initially his PC when going to settings and then troubleshoot just says to restart the router over(the router has been restarted a few times over the past several hours to no avail. Now when going to connect it says connecting and then checking network requirement and cannot connect. After it stops trying and have to click connect again which just starts the cycle over. Again, all this worked fine with no changes for about two hours.

Also, the router this replaced never had any issues so I don't think its anything with out ISP Connection or hardware.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
EmpokNor
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R600p Keeps dropping all wifi connections every minute or so on both bands

Reset didn't do anything and I mean literally anything. It caused no changes in the router despite resetting several times over an hour or so. Still no wifi and no ethernet. Worked for about an hour after I got it and then nothing.

Boxed it up, mailed it back to Amazon, and purchased a different router. Had problems with Netgear in the past and thought they might have cleaned up their act in recent years so I gave it a shot. Never again. Way overpriced garbage.

Got a wired router and an ubiquiti AP to handle the wireless connections instead.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Re: Nighthawk R600p Keeps dropping all wifi connections every minute or so on both bands

@EmpokNor wrote:

Hello, I just got this router in today. I connected it, upgraded to the nearest firmware, and set it up with the very basic stock settings.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 2 of 5
EmpokNor
Aspirant

Factory reset didn't seem to do anything at all. This morning the lights had changed from all on to the power being red and the only other light was showing that a wired connection was plugged into the first slot. Wired internet is no longer working either.
Message 3 of 5

@EmpokNor wrote:
This morning the lights had changed from all on to the power being red ...

Not good news. Anything other than a steady white power LED is a sign of trouble.

As this is a new router, I'd be tempted to take it back and ask for a replacement.

Message 4 of 5
EmpokNor
Aspirant

Reset didn't do anything and I mean literally anything. It caused no changes in the router despite resetting several times over an hour or so. Still no wifi and no ethernet. Worked for about an hour after I got it and then nothing.

Boxed it up, mailed it back to Amazon, and purchased a different router. Had problems with Netgear in the past and thought they might have cleaned up their act in recent years so I gave it a shot. Never again. Way overpriced garbage.

Got a wired router and an ubiquiti AP to handle the wireless connections instead.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7