Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6230 bricked after firmware upgrade

Bingman111
Guide

Nighthawk R6230 bricked after firmware upgrade

After performing the firmware upgrade (104, I believe) the router shut off and never rebooted. The picture shows how the router looks. After 30/30/30 reset the two lights I circled will alternate flashing with the power light constant.

I powered the router off, powered the internet modem off, waited 3 minutes and turned the internet modem back on. After another 5 minutes I turned the router back on. At that point the router goes back to the single light on as in the picture, same as after the firmware update.

Tried firmware reflash from windows PC. It won't work. The computer doesn't recognize an ethernet connection. I connected the ethernet to another ethernet device and it recognizes that device. I tried the process with the router in both states as described above.

The router is approx. 18 months old so Netgear won't help me. It seems you can buy their equipment, but if there are issues down the line you must pay them to help you get the problem fixed. Real useful! I'm worried I need a new router now, since the warranty expired. They won't even troubleshoot, I doubt they will replace it.

Any help please?
Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 31
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6230 bricked after firmware upgrade

did you watch the video? 

You can try recovering it using tftp or nmrpflash

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

Exact same thing happened to me on exact same router trying to install the exact same firmware update.  I'm working from home so it caused quite a problem.  Back up and operating using an 8 year old router.  Don't want to give up on this one because it is barely a year old.

I tried all the same things as you with zero success.

very frustrating

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 3 of 31

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Happened the day after my tech support access ended. What are the odds.  

I've been trying to reboot the firmware via tftp, got pretty close but then got stuck. Here's where I'm at: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Bricked-AC1200-issue-rebooting-firmware-via-...

Message 4 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

@thexterarcury  i just went over and subscribed to that thread too!  fingers crossed for a solution for all of us...

Message 5 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

Yes, I watched the video.
I have made some progress I had the ethernet cable plugged into the internet port on the router. Now that I have plugged it into the LAN port 1 the computer recognizes it and the tftp flash attempts to work. However, the attempts all fail saying "Unable to get responses from the server."
Message 6 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

Well I don't know if this is progress or not, but I am at least getting an error message now...  When clicking "Put" on the Tftp client I am getting:

"Error in Recv.Error code is 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)"

Does that clue anyone in to what I might be doing wrong?

Message 7 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

there is one piece that I would like clarification on...  some of the instructions mention to hold in the reset button while powering up the router just prior to downloading the firmware.  some do not.  what is the correct method?

when I hold reset while powering up, the power led stays solid green and the wi-fi and network led's blink back and forth continuously until the router is powered down.  is this the correct behavior for the download for this specific router?

Message 8 of 31
plemans
Guru

it could be a hardware failure. Did you try nmrpflash?

Message 9 of 31

Hi all - I am on a mac and after a day of banging my head against the wall, I was able to get my router back working by rebooting the firmware via nmrpflash. Woohoo!

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Note that with nmrpflash once it successfully connected, all lights turned off except the internet connection light. That was how I knew it was working, whereas before I either just had the power light, or the power light + wifi/internet lights blinking back and forth.

I am on a mac and will put the instructions in my other post on how to use nmrpflash because it took a lot of guesswork to figure out the commands.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Bricked-AC1200-issue-rebooting-firmware-via-...

Also, as soon as I rebooted there was a new firmware available, I bet Netgear realized they were bricking routers and fixed it...

Message 10 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

One discovery I had last night that maybe y'all could try (or maybe it is common sense to everyone already)...

I was having trouble when trying to load the image file from both my desktop and my downloads folder.  I was getting something along the lines of a cannot read from file error or just no activity at all.  I got further along than I have so far by moving the file to my C:\ root.  With the file in that location using the command prompt option, I at least got the transfer successful message.

Still not completely up and going but thought I would share in case it helps someone else.

Message 11 of 31

@jobiewan wrote:

some of the instructions mention to hold in the reset button while powering up the router just prior to downloading the firmware. 

I don't recognise those instructions. Do you have a link to the details?

Any reference to holding in the reset button while powering up is usually in the context of a "recovery reset":

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

This is a more severe reset than the usual factory reset. It is not used at the same time as TFTP. It is an attempt to persuade the router to get into a state where you don't need TFTP. If it works, which seems to be rare, you should be able to use a conventional firmware update.

Message 12 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

Message 13 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

I will give nmrp a try, but I'm not a network/IT guy and the instructions looked a little foreign to me. Any more help on how to use this method?
Message 14 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

i'm in the same boat...  the linked nmrp instructions scared me off.  too intimidating for a greenhorn such as myself

Message 15 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

Just to update I have tried tftp.
I have downloaded tftp via the links and followed the instructions in the YouTube video. Wifi is disabled, file is unzipped, ethernet port set to static ip and detects the router. Router is turned on with ethernet cable from computer plugged into LAN1. Tftp is enabled on the PC. I keep receiving unable to get responses from server as the end result. I also tried running it using the command prompt with connect request failed as the end result.

More detailed direction of how to use nmrp flash would be appreciated as I will need a new router if I can not make this work.

Sounds like another on this thread has had the same issue as me... very frustrating
Message 16 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

Message 17 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

I have posted my error messages
Message 18 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

@Bingman111 Have you tried putting the file on the root of your hard drive instead of your desktop?

Message 19 of 31

@Bingman111 wrote:

I have downloaded tftp via the links and followed the instructions in the YouTube video.

This out of date advice is not needed, possibly dangerous and likely to make life more complicated.

TFTP is built into modern operating systems. You just have to turn it on.

This is all explained in Netgear's own advice.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 20 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

This is all explained in Netgear's own advice.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Actually, the first advice that Netgear directs you to from the troubleshooting section for this specific model of router is the method @Bingman111 refers to.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6230.aspx#Troubleshooting_CommonTopics

Then later down the page it mentions the Windows method you link to.

Message 21 of 31
antinode
Guru

> 20210104_175110.jpg

"Network cable unplugged" was not encouraging.

> [...] Have you tried putting the file on the root of your hard drive
> instead of your desktop?

If the TFTP program doesn't complain about the file, then its actual
location is unimportant.

I, too, would suggest using a command-line TFTP client program. If
nothing else, you tend to get better error messages that way.

Message 22 of 31
Bingman111
Guide

I didn't have the cable plugged in when I snapped the picture. That picture was purely to show the error message, not the computer state at the time I tried running the tftp. When I ran the tftp the cable was connected and recognized the netgear router as connected.
Message 23 of 31

@jobiewan wrote:

Actually, the first advice that Netgear directs you to from the troubleshooting section for this specific model of router is the method @Bingman111 refers to.

You expect Netgear to maintain an up-to-date help section for a bottom-of-the range router?

No one who answers questions here would start there, even though it does eventually lead to the right advice.

Message 24 of 31
jobiewan
Tutor

Well, I'm about to throw in the towel and trash this thing...

The other night, I thought I successfully downloaded the firmware.  Actually got a message via command prompt of success.  Now, I just have a solid on power light and nothing else.  I can't seem to communicate with it.

Hooked up direct to router from my laptop to the LAN1 port.  In my network adapters folder, just says unrecognized.  At least before it saw it as NETGEAR99.

Tried to go through the setup process using the nighthawk app.  Tried factory reset again, tried resending the firmware and am not getting anywhere.  Just a solid power LED.

Any suggestions other than dumping 75 bucks into a new router would be appreciated...

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7