Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6400v2 dropping WiFi

Dinkica32
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6400v2 dropping WiFi

AC1750 smart WiFi router model R6400v2
Router keeps dropping the WiFi signal both 5 and 2.4 ghz. Wired seems to be working fine and only impacts WiFi. Have restarted both router and modem several times works for 5 min and signal just disappears. Did a 7 second reset and a 30-30-30 reset again worked for 5 min and gone. Can’t find it on the list of available networks until it’s restated.
Per the system it’s tuning the latest version of software. Please help!
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighthawk R6400v2 dropping WiFi

@Dinkica32 wrote:

Router keeps dropping the WiFi signal both 5 and 2.4 ghz.

What do the wifi LEDS show when this happens?

@Dinkica32 wrote:
Per the system it’s tuning the latest version of software.

I assume that means running on the latest firmware, but who knows?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 7
Dinkica32
Aspirant

Te LEDs are either orange or gone completly for both 5 and 2.4 Ghz. We have one LAN line connected to it and that one remains orange and works fine. 

@Dinkica32 wrote:
Per the system it’s tuning the latest version of software.

@michaelkenward I assume that means running on the latest firmware, but who knows?

Yes firmware sorry. It was upgraded yesterday so whatever the latest one is as of 1/26/21. I will have to get the number. We had to disconnect the router for now and switch to our old one in order to get wifi back in the house.

Yes we have a modem before the router. It is the Cisco Model DPC3208 and yes it does have LAN ports you can plug directly into it.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 7

@Dinkica32 wrote:

The LEDs are either orange or gone completly for both 5 and 2.4 Ghz. We have one LAN line connected to it and that one remains orange and works fine. 

That doesn't seem right. According to the manual, Wifi LEDs are supposed be be white.

The LAN port also should be white for 1000 Mbps Ethernet. Orange is for 10-100 Mbps.

@Dinkica32 wrote:

Yes firmware sorry. It was upgraded yesterday so whatever the latest one is as of 1/26/21. I will have to get the number.

The problem there is that "the latest" that you get with the on-line update may not be the tatest if you visit the support pages. Firmware can appear there before it gets onto the update server.

@Dinkica32 wrote:

Yes we have a modem before the router. It is the Cisco Model DPC3208 and yes it does have LAN ports you can plug directly into it.

The device I found for that has only one Ethernet port on the back. The other ports are for telephones. In that case it would be a simple modem and not a modem/router.

Message 4 of 7
SDH71
Aspirant

Mine has done the exact same thing. I’ve unplugged and rebooted multiple times today. I decided to use my other router a Belkin for now and I am having no problems. I’m pretty sure it’s the firmware after reading multiple problems about this dated today
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 7
Sag167
Aspirant

Me either. Same. Multiple drops. It’s impossible to work. I hate them and their **bleep**ing firmware updates. I wish they will release a new one soon to fix this disaster.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7

Anyone who has problems that started with new firmware should first try a factory reset.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

If that doesn't squish the problem, then it is easy to go back to the firmware they had in place before the update.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will have software and firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7