Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700 V3 wireless repeater question

jny243
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700 V3 wireless repeater question

Reading the instructions, it says to connect the router being converrted to AP by ethernet to the existing main router. There is no instruction for the next step - I assume I can then disconnect the ethernet cable and run the AP as a wireless network extender? Or do I need to bother at all with the ethernet cable between the converted AP and the main router? 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk R6700 V3 wireless repeater question

Hi jny243,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Regarding your concern, if you set up the R6700v3 router as an Access point, it needs to be connected via ethernet cable to the main router. This router doesn't support Repeating function and almost all of our routers doesn't support this feature anymore. If you want to extend the wireless signal of your main router, we would recommend getting a wireless extenders. You may check this link https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@jny243 wrote:

Reading the instructions, it says to connect the router being converrted to AP by ethernet to the existing main router. There is no instruction for the next step - I assume I can then disconnect the ethernet cable and run the AP as a wireless network extender? Or do I need to bother at all with the ethernet cable between the converted AP and the main router? 

Converted to AP (access point) is different than repeater. 

What are you actually doing and setting up? 

And I'm not finding in the manual that the V3 of the R6700 supports repeater mode. 

Message 2 of 3
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jny243,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Regarding your concern, if you set up the R6700v3 router as an Access point, it needs to be connected via ethernet cable to the main router. This router doesn't support Repeating function and almost all of our routers doesn't support this feature anymore. If you want to extend the wireless signal of your main router, we would recommend getting a wireless extenders. You may check this link https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7