Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700 reboot

Carolinablue
Tutor

Nighthawk R6700 reboot

Running latest firmware version but about every other day or so my speed drops down to 5 mbs download which should be around 60 mbs. After rebooting it's back up to normal but again after a few days same deal. Anyone know what's up with this?

Thanks.....

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Carolinablue
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R6700 reboot

Sorry I haven't responded back to my thread. I did call Spectrum out and they found a bad connection on their end that fixed me up.

Thanks to all for your help.......

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@Carolinablue wrote:

Running latest firmware version ...

Possibly, but a number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
Carolinablue
Tutor

Thanks for your response, my router firmware version is v.1.0.4.78 the lastest and my modem is a Motorola cable modem model #COMODAWGD3, in front of my single router. I am on Spectrum cable which has little to be desired but the best we can do.

Message 3 of 8

@Carolinablue wrote:

....my modem is a Motorola cable modem model #COMODAWGD3

Google finds nothing.

Message 4 of 8
Krishen
Aspirant

@Carolinablue wrote:

Running latest firmware version but about every other day or so my speed drops down to 5 mbs download which should be around 60 mbs. After rebooting it's back up to normal but again after a few days same deal. Anyone know what's up with this?

Thanks.....

Hey, I have been experiencing pretty much the same behavior on my R6700v3 (Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router) running Firmware Version V1.0.4.78_10.0.55. I just updated to 1.0.4.82_10.0.57, will keep you posted if anything changes. Additionally as mentioned above I am double-NATed (my Nighthawk is behind my ISP's modem/router combo), so I'll also be looking to turn off both the NATing done by my ISP's modem/router ( https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700V3.aspx ), as well as turn off the radios produced by it, to minimize interference. Will keep you posted if things improve under any of the aforementioned three scenarios.

By the way, looking at the model numbers for the current Motorola cable modems/routers (see https://motorolanetwork.com/) -- which all tend to start with "M"-something... MB..., MT..., MG..., MD..., MR..., MC..., MX..., MM...... I'm wondering if you've given us the serial # for your model rather than the model #. Do you see anything that starts with letters like the above?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
June20
Aspirant

My Spectrum bill shows my Cable Modem is a model COMODAWGD3, same as CarolinaBlue. I'm guessing this is just a cryptic description applied by Spectrum and may have nothing to do with the real gateway model number.  My Spectrum Internet connection seems to spaz out far too often, and on two or more PC's at one time.  My streaming TV continues to work, but browser sessions hang. My Cable Modem is a venerable Mortorola 6580 which has been rebranded by Arris who purchased much of Motorola's product line years ago.  How long have you had your gateway?  I'm guessing my 6580  dates back to 2010. Try checking the log files on your Cable Modem. You might also try upgrading the gateway firmware. Or better yet, work with Spectrum to upgrade your gateway. 

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 6 of 8

@June20 wrote:

You might also try upgrading the gateway firmware. Or better yet, work with Spectrum to upgrade your gateway. 

Firmware on cable modems is in the hands of the ISP. Only it can update it for you.

Message 7 of 8
Carolinablue
Tutor

Sorry I haven't responded back to my thread. I did call Spectrum out and they found a bad connection on their end that fixed me up.

Thanks to all for your help.......

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7