Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R6700V2 Blocking sites

3Aly12
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700V2 Blocking sites

Hi, I have a Nighthawk R6700V2 and am noticing that it is blocking my Macbook and iPhone (when on wifi) from accessing sites like gamestop.com or finishline.com.  I never had this issue in the past and it started recently.  I had factory reset my router more times than I'd hoped to, powercycled my modem and router, yet the same results end up happening.  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this can help or not, but I had tried setting up an Arlo Pro Camera and my computer nor iphone would be able to recognize the base station.  Thanks in advance!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

again, if you can't access it when you're directly connected to your modem and your router isn't connected at all, how is it going to be blocking? so its either modem or isp thats blocking if the router isn't hooked up. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
3Aly12
Aspirant

I also wanted to show the screenshot from gamestop.com as well.  Thanks!

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? (brand and model number)

Are there any other routers on your network?

Usually when I see issues like this its because there's a combo device or another router prior to the device you're using. 

also what firmware is on your router?

If there's no other routers/combo devices on your network, you could try changing your dns provider to either googles 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4  or cloudfare 1.1.1.1

Message 3 of 12
3Aly12
Aspirant

Hi Plemans. I am using a modem provided by my ISP (the forced us to use it); not sure what the model number is but it is called Home Grid Forum and it’s a Gn.h coax Gigabit Ethernet Bridge.

I did try using Google’s DNS, Open DNS, and Cloudfare but to no avail.

The router states it has the most up to date firmware V1.2.0.62_1.0.1.

I do have an old Apple Time Capsule but it’s in bridge mode and just use it for backup. Thanks!
Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

There's serval different home grid forum devices that have gn.h.  Many of them have a router integrated with them. If so, that'd put you in a double nat situation. I can't say for certain thats whats going on without a model number for your device. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175739/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-problems.html

Message 5 of 12
3Aly12
Aspirant

Hi, I searched high and low, but wasn't able to get model number of the modem.  The only thing I can provide is the modem is made by Home Grid Forum and the attached photo.  There is no other information on the device.   I am not sure if this is helpful, but I tried hardwiring directly to the modem from my Macbook and I still wasn't able to go to either gamestop.com or finishline.com.  Though an interesting thing I noticed was when I tried using tunnelbear (either hardwired to the modem, or wirelessly to the router) I was successfully able to go to the sites.  

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you can't log into the sites directly connected to the modem then it is what's filtering and not your netgear device. Its more than likely a modem router combo device.
Message 7 of 12
3Aly12
Aspirant

But it is not a combo device.  It is only a modem.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

But you stated that you directly connected your macbook to the modem and still couldn't access the site. That'd mean the router isn't causing the blocking but either your modem or your computer is. 

Message 9 of 12
3Aly12
Aspirant

Yes, my ISP company is investigating. It’s not my computer because I tried using the 1.1.1.1 app on my iPhone and it would not work. However using tunnel bear both hardwired directly to the modem or wirelessly to router, I was able to access the sites. I also tried using my windows work laptop and it would not work either ; so that eliminates the computer being the problem. So it has to be either the router or modem right? The fact I couldn’t access it via my iPhone is still leaning me towards the router.
Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

again, if you can't access it when you're directly connected to your modem and your router isn't connected at all, how is it going to be blocking? so its either modem or isp thats blocking if the router isn't hooked up. 

Message 11 of 12
3Aly12
Aspirant

Well the IPS was able to have gamestop.com work for me.  Still working on finishline.com.   Thanks for your help!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7