Nighthawk R6700v2 won't automatically reboot after brownout

timz45
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700v2 won't automatically reboot after brownout

Hey all,

So after a power outage or brief brown out, my modem will reboot when power returns, but the router will not. I just see an amber light on the front. I need to go downstairs and remove the power, wait a few, and plug it back in in order for it to boot back up. Is this typical for this router or is there some setting I can change that I missed? I know it's a very small problem, but it would be nice if it just came right up, as brown outs have become somewhat frequent in the winter. Thanks!
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk R6700v2 won't automatically reboot after brownout

@timz45 wrote:

So after a power outage or brief brown out, my modem will reboot when power returns, but the router will not. I just see an amber light on the front.

What amber light? Power LED? Internet LED? Something else?

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

I have my suspicions, knowing the modem might clarify them.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
timz45
Aspirant

I believe it is the Power LED. I'd have to wait for a brown out to replicate, but I'm fairly certain it is the power. My modem is an Arris TM822. Let me know if theres anything else you might need to know. The modem boots back up just fine after a brownout, but the router will stay with that amber light on until I remove the power source and cycle it. Thanks for the response.
Message 3 of 4

@timz45 wrote:
I believe it is the Power LED.

Doesn't get us any further. You could just flip the switch and see what happens.

I asked about the modem because I had problems with a modem/router that I had in modem only mode.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

If your modem is taking time to boot, then maybe your router is also hanging at the stage of finding an internet connection. That's why I asked about the power/internet LED. If it was the internet LED, that might be a clue.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E