Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R6700v3 Speed Issues

Zenblak
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700v3 Speed Issues

I bought a Nighthawk R6700v3 last summer and I have not been able to get the speeds that I am paying for. Currently I am paying for 1Gb download from Cox using a Modem/router device that they supplied. The modem/router is a Technicolor CGM4140COM and it is currently in bridged mode acting only as a modem. When I perform a wired speedtest from my PC I only get ~150Mb download however, 2.4GHz band: ~150Mb and 5.0GHz band: ~200-300Mb

Is there a configuration issue with my router? Is it a compatibility issue between router and modem? Thank you in advanced for the help. 

Technicolor CGM4140COM Firmware: Unknown

Nighthawk R6700v3 Firmware: V1.0.4.106_10.0.80

Technicolor > Nighthawk > Wired PC

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

do you have access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and qos all disabled? if not, disable and reboot the router. 

I'd potentially even try a factory reset of the router and reinstall with making sure those are disabled. 

Another thing you can try is the technicolor in router mode (disable its wifi) and try the R6700 in access point mode. 

fyi, you won't hit gigabit speeds over wifi. but you should be able to wired if the settings are correct. 

Message 2 of 15
Zenblak
Aspirant

I understand that on the wifi speeds, I only mentioned them because they run faster than the Ethernet. (Probably cause of WMM).

No access control, traffic monitoring, or parental controls. The only qos that I have enabled is WMM on the 2.5 and 5.0 GHz bands, other wise both bands are < 50-100Mb in speed tests. Is there any way to disable these without making the wifi unbearably slow?? I have already factory reset the router in an attempt to fix this issue (that’s when I discovered that disabling WMM crippled wifi speeds). I have not tried the technicolor in router mode with the nighthawk in AP mode, I’ll have to give that a shot.
Message 3 of 15
domenc
Aspirant

was this issue resolved?  I have same issue.

Message 4 of 15
JayX
Initiate

It's the firmware, The current firmware throttles your speeds to less than 200mbps. I'm not sure why Netgear hasn't addressed this issue. Personally I think it's garbage that they aren't doing Sh!t about it.... I had to revert back the a previous firmware to get my speeds back to the 1gig that I have. 

Message 5 of 15
Decreet
Aspirant

I have the same problem. What firmware did you downgrade from? I need to do the same.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Fw version are you using? 

Since the OP first posted this, they were on v106.

I see v118 and v120 thats most corrent:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700v3#download

If v106, try v102 or something prior to v106.

@Decreet wrote:

I have the same problem. What firmware did you downgrade from? I need to do the same.

Message 7 of 15
JayX
Initiate

I downgraded to V1.0.3.66_10.0.50

It's been a couple of months since I last checked my speeds, as long as I'm getting 700 and up I'm okay with that. I'm just irritated when I upgraded the firmware that it went sub 200mbps. Right now I don't trust the netgear firmware and I'm looking for other router options. I think its best for my situation as I work from home and need the bandwidth to do work. 

Message 8 of 15
dpmoore
Star

I see others have the same issue.  I have been capped to ~200Mb/s (Wired) for sometime now.  Just have not had the time to troubleshoot.  I have the Xifinity 1300Mbps package

Modem CM1000V2

R6700v3 Firmware: just updated to v1.0.4.122

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

@dpmoore have you started your own thread? 

Message 10 of 15
dpmoore
Star

I have not started my own thread

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

@dpmoore Try starting your own thread and we're happy to help. We try to encourage people to start their own thread because then their details don't get mixed up with the OP's and it gives another example for netgear for issues that are hardware related and not user related. 

Message 12 of 15
dpmoore
Star

Ok, will do.  Thanks 

Message 13 of 15
Nighthawk_f
Aspirant

I have the exact same equipments with the exact same problem. I'm paying for 900mbps but some how speed cannot get over 250. I tried downgrading (doesn't work), i tried everything in these forums, nothing works. At this point I'm thinking about switching to another brand.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

@Nighthawk_f Have you started your own thread? We highly recommend that so your info isn't confused with the OP's. 

And include all your info, not just "having the same problem". Include your setup, what you've tried, and any other details you can think of. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7