Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 5G dropping

LisaAyn
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 5G dropping

So I'm having the same issue I see a lot of people are having.  I disabled automatic updates and did a factory reset but upon reboot, the latest firmware is installed.  And that seems to be the culprit for dropping the 5g network.  Any ideas?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can downgrade the firmware. 

You have the R7000?

Try installing the 1.0.9.42 firmware. Seems to be the most stable with devices that have 5g issues. 

after the update, do a factory reset as the firmware is quite changed.

then disable auto-updates. 

Message 2 of 9
LisaAyn
Aspirant

@plemans Maybe you didn't read my text carefully.  I already did as you suggest but once it was re-set to factory settings, it still had the latest firmware even though I disabled auto updates.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

A factory reset doesn't change the firmware. it simply removes all the settings. 

And you put "i'm on the latest". 

It isn't a number and might not be on the latest. Especially when it comes to the R7000. 

And if you'd have looked at the version I recommended, it isn't even close to the latest. Its several years old but its been the most stable version for those devices having issue. 

Message 4 of 9
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@LisaAyn  Just be aware, that although there is this collective endorsement of firmware v.42, as has been pointed out, it's now several years old. If you really want to take the risk of running a firmware that by now is likely to have several security weaknesses, then that is entirely your decision, just make sure you've got good anti-virus etc. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then I've never had any of the issues so widely reported on this forum. Funny that.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 9

@plemans wrote:

It isn't a number and might not be on the latest. Especially when it comes to the R7000. 

Oh so true.

The "check for updates" process can miss "hotfix" versions that have yet to pass all the quality checks – yes they do exist – before the new version rolls out to the update server.

Any claims to have "the latest" are, therefore, meaningless.

Message 6 of 9

@LisaAyn wrote:

I disabled automatic updates and did a factory reset but upon reboot, the latest firmware is installed.

Possibly not.

It you reset the thing you may have turned automatic update back on. (That is the default setting on recent versions.) So you should update the firmware with your chosen version, then turn off the automated update. Do that and it will not install the latest firmware.

As @plemans says later on in this conversation, a reset does nothing to your firmware version. It just wipes the settings, which includes whatever you did to turn off autoupdates.

Message 7 of 9
GregGreg
Star

@LisaAyn 

Try two settings:
1. Set the 5GHz channel to 36 or 40 or 44 or 48
(Explanation: channels: 52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112 are in the range of DFS channels and the R7000 may disable them temporarily)
2. Change to the following setting (apparently it can help - I found it in another thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-1-0-11-123-and-5Ghz/ td-p / 2105721):
Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz
Fragmentation Length: 2346 change to 2304
CTS / RTS Threshold: 2347 change to 2304

Message 8 of 9
LisaAyn
Aspirant

Thanks for all that.  I'm not sure what actually "fixed" it but it seems to be holding for now.  I did not roll back to older firmware as some recommended and chose to heed the advice of @Portwey84 .  One thing I did do was to renew my Netgear Armor subscription.  Maybe that did the trick??  

However I'm happy to have your suggestions in case my router decides to act a fool down the road.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7