Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Prevents Internet Access

naedrich
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Prevents Internet Access

Yesterday morning I lost internet connection. After a day of trying to resolve the issue it was determined that the Nighthawk is not only not allowing Internet access, but it shuts it down completely.

If I plug the computer directly into the modem provided by Midco, I get perfect connection.

The minute I try to access Netgear Genie to resolve the problem, I lose internet connection.

If I try to use the WiFi connection, instead of cable, I lose internet connection.

If I plug the modem into the router and the router into the computer, I lose internet connection.

My $199 router is barely 6 months old. Cables are in good condition. Of course it would start having problems after the free 90 day warranty/help from Netgear.

Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
naedrich
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Prevents Internet Access

After four days back and forth with the Internet company's tech support, they kept swearing the router went bad. I went out and bought a new one, and same thing happened. They said they'd have to call a tech to come to the home as they were sure their modem wasn't the problem since I could get online directly with the modem to computer. On a whim, I went out and bought a new modem, plugged it into the router, and the ethernet plug worked beautifully. So turns out something was going on with their router where it wouldn't go from modem to router to computer. When I tried this way, with the old modem, both the new and old router wouldn't acknowledge the cable to from the modem to the router, no matter what cable we used. But the new modem worked with both old and new router... took the old modem back to the company and was told there was possibly a short in the modem, otherwise they can't explain why the problem was happening.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
naedrich
Aspirant

I should also note that I have done the following:

Power off both the modem and R7000. Waited over an hour. Powered on modem first. Let the modem power up completely. Then powered on the R7000. But once I start the computer, no internet access.

Unplug the router, plug router directly into computer, turn everything off, power up the modem, restart computer, and get perfect internet connection.

Repeat the process, only this time, once I know internet access is working, I try to connect to the router via wi-fi and I completley lose internet connection.

Repeat the power down process again, only this time just access Netgear genie. Try to do a firmware update, and lose internet connection again.

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi naedrich,

Please try to configure the Internet setup of the router. Under MAC address, please select "Use computer MAC address" and click apply afterwards. If still no internet access. Powercycle both the router and the modem.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/~/no-internet-with-new-router---mac-spoofing

Message 3 of 5
naedrich
Aspirant

After four days back and forth with the Internet company's tech support, they kept swearing the router went bad. I went out and bought a new one, and same thing happened. They said they'd have to call a tech to come to the home as they were sure their modem wasn't the problem since I could get online directly with the modem to computer. On a whim, I went out and bought a new modem, plugged it into the router, and the ethernet plug worked beautifully. So turns out something was going on with their router where it wouldn't go from modem to router to computer. When I tried this way, with the old modem, both the new and old router wouldn't acknowledge the cable to from the modem to the router, no matter what cable we used. But the new modem worked with both old and new router... took the old modem back to the company and was told there was possibly a short in the modem, otherwise they can't explain why the problem was happening.

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi naedrich,

Good to know that you have found the culprit of the issue you are having. You may tag your post as accepted solution. Thank you for your update.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7