Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Throttling my Connection From 1gb to Barely 400mb

InThisSituation
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Throttling my Connection From 1gb to Barely 400mb

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my residential Comcast internet service to 1gb (40mb up). The new Motorola DTE we purchased is working as expected (it's even primed for Docsis 4.0), but the R7000 refuses to deliver even close to the maximum, topping out at about ~400mb wired. It simiarly caps wireless speed at ~350mb. All cabling is CAT 5e, ports set to full duplex and autonegotiate. Router has no Blocks or ACLs, MAC stickies, etc.

As you can see in the image attached, the WAN port status show the 1gb autonegotiate, but the LAN links are not delivering that and neither is the WLAN links (even though the status states that they are). I connect vis a vi the 5G band on my laptop, and as I said, I'm not getting anywhere close to the proported status as my speed (see additional image).

5G Laptop Speed test.png

Interestingly, the upload speeds are meeting as delivered at 40 up. So I'm reletively not disappointed with that as it is what was promised. Any recomendations would be great! Please note: I'm trying to avoid resetting the router. I've got a four people working from home during the pandemic and one relies on a statically assigned AP. Resettiing the router is a last resort... RMA is even better than a reset.

I also (like 20 minutes ago) did an update to the latest firmware which didn't help.

I appreciate your time and help sorting this out!

Sincerely,

Sam

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Throttling my Connection From 1gb to Barely 400mb

What you could try before a reset would be to disable access control, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and qos. Once disabled, reboot the router. 

You might need a factory reset and reinstall. the R7000 uses ctf (cut through forwarding) to hit gigabit speeds. Those 4 services all disable ctf and i've read of instances where it not turning back on even if those services get disabled. it sometimes can take a factory reset and reinstall. 

What firmware did you upgrade to? the R7000 isn't known for the best firmware. 

Message 2 of 9
InThisSituation
Aspirant

"What you could try before a reset would be to disable access control, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and qos. Once disabled, reboot the router."

- None of those were enabled to begin with.

Current firmware version:

V1.0.11.110_10.2.100

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

If there were ever enabled, a factory reset it worth a shot. 

If that doesn't help, then I'd try downgrading to version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Then factory reset and clean reinstall (not from a backup configuration). 

Message 4 of 9
InThisSituation
Aspirant

Tried that. No difference.

Screenshot 2020-12-05 085032.png

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

did you do a factory reset and clean install? make sure not to use a backup configuration

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

what modem model number is it?

Message 7 of 9
InThisSituation
Aspirant

A Motorola MB8600.

Message 8 of 9
plemans