Nighthawk R7000 AP or Bridge Mode

ParE-CHI
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 AP or Bridge Mode

Hello Everyone, 

First time posting and trying to do what is best for what I need. I have two A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Devices. The way we are configured in the location I live is that we get a RJ45 connection with our internet. Right now I have that being plugged into a Gigabit Switch. Then I have connectors for each room plugged into this Gigabit Switch, which allows the ports in each room to have internet. In one room I have it connected to the A7000 / AC1900 as a router and have WiFi. 

Unfortunately, the WiFi does not extend to the other rooms and drops. Plugging directly into the jack will work for many of the hardwire devices but not that wifi. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure that that WiFi is available throughout the entire house without having to change SSID. 

So I am thinking the following, please let me know if I am thinking correctly or what I need to do that could make my connection better.

1) Have the Internet from the Service Provide connect directly into AC1900 (First one), use this as a router and then have the other RJ45 cables for the room jacks plugged into AC1900(one). 

2) In the next room setup the AC1900 (second one) as an AP. Connect the network cable from the jack to the WAN connection or does that connect into a LAN Port?

2a) Does this still give me the LAN Ports so I can hardwire like Desktop, Printer, and NAS. 

I'm thinking of doing the above and making sure everything works throughout without having to change SSID. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 8

Re: Nighthawk R7000 AP or Bridge Mode

@ParE-CHI wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

First time posting and trying to do what is best for what I need. I have two A7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Devices.

AC1900 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

The A7000 is, as your footer tells us, a WiFi USB Adapter. The arrangement you describe doesn't make sense for things like that.

So what are we talking about here?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
ParE-CHI
Aspirant

Hello - sorry I missed that I have a R7000 Nighthawk Dual Band Gigabit Router. 

What I'm. trying to do is have the same SSID throughout my entire house. I'm trying to figure out if the best method is to use AP mode or Bridge Mode. 

I still want to be able to use the ports on the back of the device for the hardwire devices. My setup is a bit different but I've been trying to read and figure this out. 

Main Closest has my connection for the Internet, then I have 3 additional RJ45 wires that go from here to other rooms that are wired to RJ45 Jacks. 

I have two R7000 Nighthawk Dual Band Gigabit Routers, if I use one in the cloest as my regular router and then connect the three RJ45 cables for the other rooms into this Router. 

Then in the other room I connect from the wall to the other R7000 Nighthawk Router, do I need to set it up in Bridge Mode or AP Mode. I would still like to be able to use the ports on the back of the Router. How would I configure the second router? 

I hope I cleared up the confusion. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 8

@ParE-CHI wrote:

What I'm. trying to do is have the same SSID throughout my entire house. I'm trying to figure out if the best method is to use AP mode or Bridge Mode. 

If you have an R7000 as a router and then use the second as an AP, you can give them whatever SSID you like. As you have wired connections running around the place, it would seem silly to put the second R7000 into bridge mode.

You can simply set up every wifi device to have the same SSID and password throughout the house.

This is, though. often a pointless exercise. Indeed, it can make life harder.

If you have three, say, wifi sources all on the same SSID, then as you move a client from one place to another, you are making it harder for that device to connect to the best local wifi source.

Even if you do have devices all on the same SSID, they still have to negotiate the connection handover as they move around. If your wifi clients are any good, they will simply move from one SSID to another without much of an interruption.

For a truly seamless transfer, the wifi sources have to cooperate, and work together. The technology for that is called Mesh. It is the "engine" that drives Netgear's Orbi systems.

Talk of AP mode and Bridge mode is different. AP mode has a direct wired link between the router and the AP. This has no wifi connection  getting in the way. Bridge mode relies on a wifi connection between the two. Wired generally beats wireless for reliability and speed.

That is why some people avoid wifi where possible, especially with wired devices that don't move around, PCs and TVs for example. In those cases, it can be better to use Powerline Ethernet. Not as good as "bare" Ethernet, but better than wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
ParE-CHI
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. I've looked into the Orbi and just don't have the funds to pay for that system at the moment. However, I already have two of these Nighthawk Dual Band Gigabit Routers. So been doing some research and reading and trying to figure out which way would be the best. 

From your response - it sounds like if I use AP Mode on the second router with a hardwire connection back to the actually router, I should be able to keep the same SSID everywhere and things would work. I do understand about the handshakes, I'm looking to only use one SSID for connecting back to my NAS and Wireless printing. 

Thank you for you response and helping this newbie. 

Message 5 of 8

Should work just fine. But limit the use of wifi where possible, especially for the NAS. I even have a LAN adapter and Powerline so that I I don't have to use wifi for as FireStick TV thingy.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 8
ParE-CHI
Aspirant

When I get the 2nd router setup as an AP and have the cable running from the router to the AP, do I plug into the LAN Port or WAN Port?

I hope I have all the information.I need to make this work properly. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

> When I get the 2nd router setup as an AP and have the cable running
> from the router to the AP, do I plug into the LAN Port or WAN Port?

One way to save yourself some time and trouble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Set Up the
Router as a WiFi Access Point"

> [...] in the location I live is that we get a RJ45 connection with our
> internet. [...]

That suggests that there's already a router behind the wall.  It's
not immediately obvious that you'll be happy if you add your own router
to the existing (hidden) router.  Depending on circumstances, you might
be happier if all your R7000 units are configured as wireless access
points.  But you should be able to run the experiment both ways.

One potential problem with not having your own router is that you
might find your devices on the same LAN as your neighbors' devices.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements