Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Arlo SSID broadcast won't turn off Firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 Arlo SSID broadcast won't turn off Firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Earlier, I had downgraded the firmware to V1.0.3.80 because I was having unstable connection issues from the R7000. Downgrading seemed to have solved the stability problem, but I found that the Arlo SSID somehow continued to broadcast, even though Arlo support couldn't exist in that firmware version. I was also certain that I had turned off Arlo during troubleshooting for the unstable connection. Somehow, Arlo support remained through the downgrade. So I decided to upgrade the firmware through an ethernet connection this time to try to turn off that Arlo SSID broadcast (The router connection seemed to have no problem this time after upgrading).

I then unchecked the "Enable Arlo" checkbox and clicked applied. However, the R7000 still continues to broadcast the Arlo SSID. What's strange is that some devices see that SSID as the 5 Ghz SSID, while others see it as the Arlo SSID. I know that it's definitely not the 5 Ghz SSID as the 5 Ghz broadcast has been turned off and I cannot connect to it with the password I had set for it before.

This seems to be a bug in Firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue and found a solution to getting rid of the extra Arlo SSID? 

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Arlo SSID broadcast won't turn off Firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Are you doing a factory reset to defaults after changing the firmware each time? I strongly suggest you do. It almost sounds like the settings may be overlapping between firmware versions, so if you don't clear out the old ones, the firmware may be picking up old ones that are incorrect or meant for a different feature.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 21

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If using smart connect turn it off. I disable arlo without a problem. I didn't use smart connect, maybe that's why.

Message 2 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Hello searay,

Thanks for replying. My Smart Connect is already turned off, but the SSID is still being broadcasted with Arlo disabled.

Message 3 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Are you doing a factory reset to defaults after changing the firmware each time? I strongly suggest you do. It almost sounds like the settings may be overlapping between firmware versions, so if you don't clear out the old ones, the firmware may be picking up old ones that are incorrect or meant for a different feature.

Message 4 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Hello rpoffen,

I have done a factory reset somewhere along the process, but I can't recall when exactly. I would assume that the reset should turn off the Arlo broadcast feature by default. However, I will try factory resetting one more time to be sure.

Is it normal for a higher firmware feature to remain even after downgrading the firmware?

Message 5 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No

I switched back to 1.0.5.25 without any issues.

Message 6 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

No, a feature would not remain that isn't coded in the old firmware, but all new features likely have some entry in the settings database that pertain to them. Depending on how this database is organized internally, it is possible that an area that is used by a new feature in the later firmware, means something else for the older firmware, thus can confuse the operation of the router. A good example apparently is the port forwarding feature which broke from 1.04 to 1.05+ unless you deleted and re-enetered the rules. Something was not the same in the way the settings were stored between the versions of firmware.

Performing a reset to defaults after loading new firmware should guarantee that the memory area used by that version of firmware for settings is set to a known, valid state.

Message 7 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The FW udate should fail unless a default is completed before updating. This would solve most problems before they even made here to another why me post.

Message 8 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Another factory reset did it. Ther Arlo SSID finally stopped broadcasting when I turned it off after the reset. It seems that the Arlo settings are kept even after downgrading. However, upgrading the firmware and resetting once more finally got the Arlo settings to respond correctly!

Message 9 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Today I updated once again to 6.28,  Disabled arlo without a problem. The only issue I had sooooooooooooofar is some text is missing where you enter the e-mail settings. While UPNP was enabled all 5 QNAP ports were forwarded and working. I've since disabled it.

I've had this router since NG gave it to me. Between then and now something has changed,  updates are a royal pain in the _$$ to preform with this" UPDATE for DUMMIES smart FW" .

Message 10 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

I seem to have a new problem with this firmware. I wanted to test our new modem and played around with the settings to see the new speeds for 2.4 Ghz only and 5 Ghz only. When I turned off the 5 Ghz for both SSID and Wireless Router Radio, the network somehow still showed up in my list of wireless networks. I highly suspected that this was related to my earlier problems when the Arlo SSID kept being broadcasted, as some device recognized the broadcast as Arlo network while others recognized the broadcast as 5 Ghz network. When I would try to login to the mysterious 5 Ghz network, I would be unable to, providing more evidence that this was the Arlo network. So either something weird is happening due to this firmware update or my router has some hardware problems...

Has anyone else noticed problems simialr to this? Could someone try replicating what I did to see if it would happen again?

Message 11 of 21
JamesGL
Master

Hi Yis,

Did you try resetting the router to factory default after the update? The ARLO SSID is running in 2.4Ghz frequency. 

Message 12 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Hi  JamesGL,

Yes, I did, which is what "fixed" my initial problem, but I could try once more.

Message 13 of 21
JamesGL
Master

Hi Yis,

The Arlo SSID is normally same with the default 2.4Ghz SSID but has Arlo name on it. Ex.(NETGEAR32_ARLO_xxxx).

Message 14 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

That's correct. But for whatever reason, I was seeing this weird phenomenon, which made me assume it was the Arlo, as that was the main broadcasting change from the previous firmware I was on.

The good news was that we had an ISP technician come in today to check our internet connection because the connection was intermittent. It turned out that a filter was installed, which affected the cable power and data throughput in a negative way that was not appropriate for our configuration. After he removed the filter and put in new cable ends, the intermittent issue was gone. However, the router ended up having some stability issues after the fix, so I factory resetted, which was something I needed to try anyway in regards to the previous issues.

After the reset, the internet is stable again and no more random SSID is being broadcasted! I'm not sure if it's possible that the ISP problem and this is related, but the SSID issue is gone after the ISP fix.

Message 15 of 21
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

I forgot to add that the Downstream Bonded Channels in the modem's GUI showed millions of both corrected and uncorreatable errors, which was due to the ISP issue. Could those errors affect the router negatively and cause the weird problems I was having (i.e. overloaded the router)?

Message 16 of 21
JamesGL
Master

Hi Yis,

For connection issues, modem affects the router but for your wireless it should not affect. I am sure what happened but I am glad that it works now.

Message 17 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's not uncommon to have those errors. Uncorrected means the forward error correction could not correct and those packets were retransmitted, this occurred between ISP and Modem.

Message 18 of 21
GezK
Initiate

glad I found this post/thread and I can confirm the issue of the OP as exactly the same has happened to me.  Upgraded to the latest firmware which included the Arlo content.  Then found out that various kit in the house (laptops/phones/printer etc) could not connect to the normal home SSID on 2.4Ghz.  However, said kit could connect to the guest network, also on the 2.4Ghz.  Suspecting a dodgy firmware, I downgraded and the Arlo content disappeared. However, problem still exists - cannot connect to home SSID but can connect to guest SSID.   Using Inssider, I found 3 SSID being broadcast on 2.4Ghz, two of which were meant to be there but the third was an unnamed SSID, and it was sitting on the same channel, with identical Db and a MAC address next in line to the other two.

I will do a factory reset and see if the Arlo phantom SSID disappears.  If so then hopefully the home SSID will start accepting connections again.  I also have a pair of 5Ghz SSIDs doing the same thing (home/guest) but they continue to be fine.

Message 19 of 21
GezK
Initiate

Just to confirm that reverting the firmware back from V1.0.6.28 to V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 (to remove the Arlo service), the phantom SSID can then be removed by taking the R700 back to factory settings (done either by reset on back of device or through the router web interface).   After then restoring the configuration from backup, .  all devices happy to once again connect to the home 2.4Ghz SSID.

Message 20 of 21
andywooz32
Aspirant

This is exactly the problem I had. I had posted this under another thread. My home 2.4G stopped working after the firmware upgrade to : V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.  My guest 2.4G was still working. My 5G both base and guest were working. I did a paper clip reset, and reconfigured everything , and all four work again. HOWEVER... that annoying ARLO SSID network, was there after the initial upgrade, and is still there after I reset the reconfigured the modem (disabled ARLO, and didn't enable Smart Connect)..... after a while, it disappeared on it's own (no longer broadcasting, or at least, I'm not picking it up on any of my wireless devices anymore).

Glad to be rid of it.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7