Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Connection Issues

KJFOG
Initiate

Nighthawk R7000 Connection Issues

I want to start with a little backstory...I first purchased this Nighthawk router in August of 2017 and used it for approximately 20 months with no issues whatsoever. It would stay connected/online for months at a time, and the only time it would disconnect is when I would do a periodic reboot from the app as I've seen recommended on several different discussion boards. For the next several months, the router would have all of the lights turn off, and the power light would go red, and would require me manually unplugging the modem and router and replugging them back in for the system to start up again. Initially, I called out our ISP (WOW) to check our internet line to the house, and they were able to determine that there were no issues with the connection to the house and modem, which allowed me to narrow the issue down to this router. I looked at other netgear forums and tried recommended solutions such as plugging the router into a different power outlet, factory reset etc. I was running the latest available firmware, and even went back to a previous firmware (and was subsequently prompted in the nighthawk app to re-update to the latest firmware). After unsuccessfully resolving the issues, I fortunately remembered that I had geeksquad protection for about another month, and was able to return that Nighthawk R7000 and replace it with an identical model. I have had the replacement for just under a month, and am still experiencing connection issues. All of the lights on the router remain on and white, but my devices will disconnect, and I have to reboot the router from the nighthawk app for the connection to my devices to return without issue. This will work for several hours, and then the connection will drop again, and I will have to go through the reboot process again, etc. 

A few notes:

-When the connection is working, my internet speed is phenomenal (250-300mb/s down, 50-60 mb/s up)

-We do not have cable, so we stream everything from HULU w/ live tv (as you can imagine, trying to stream with a connection that is constantly dropping is quite frustrating)

-There are usually 15-20 devices connected to the network at a time (split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)-This is about the same amount of devices connected to the first nighthawk that I had during the first 20 months when I had no issues, so I dont believe that this would be the problem

-We have several google home devices connnected to the network (2 chromecasts, 3 google home minis, 1 google home hub/nest hub). The minis and hub are connected to 2.4Ghz, while the chromecasts are connected to 5Ghz. I read in a discussion post dated several years ago that the "cast" feature of google home devices was sending large packets to routers and causing them to disconnnect (If I understood the post right), but I was under the impression that google has since put out software updates to resolve this issue, so I dont know if that would be relevant to the current issues I am experiencing.

I consider myself moderately tech-savvy, but have definitely met my match with the issues I have been experiencing. Any suggestions/ideas on how to determine if a certain device is crashing my network connection would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 20
MikeRisherWJINC
Initiate

Same. R7000 purchased in 2015 has been pretty much flawless. Now having constant disconnection issues with all lights white and indicating no problems while running latest firmware.

Only way I've found to recover is to unplug from power and plug back in. Any help from NetGear would be greatly appreicated.

Message 2 of 20
KJFOG
Initiate

Well, its somewhat comforting that Im not the only one experiencing this issue. I called Netgear support this morning and the guy was basically useless. Hopefully a new firmware update gets released soon to fix these issues. 

Message 3 of 20
myersw
Master

In the mean time, folks say the .42 version of firmware works. So while it sucks, best thing to do would be to manually install .42 firmware reset and reconfigure. 

Message 4 of 20
Mwaliph
Aspirant

Had a firmware update the other day and Same issues at the moment. Not able to even connect to the router. Multiple reboots and troubleshooting but no progress. Not sure what else to do at this point. Internet connection from ISP is working fine, it’s just the router. -/:();/$&@“.,?!!!!
Message 5 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Mwaliph wrote:
Had a firmware update the other day and Same issues at the moment. Not able to even connect to the router. Multiple reboots and troubleshooting but no progress. Not sure what else to do at this point. Internet connection from ISP is working fine, it’s just the router. -/:();/$&@“.,?!!!!

I am sort of shocked end-users have not picked up on the fact that NG's latest R7000 firmware is a 'basket case'. Totally unreliable. Just looking at the subject list here would give one the impression of that.

@Mwaliph, did you read the above before posting? Did you see where using the .42 (V1.0.9.42) would be the probable solution? Is has been for many.

NG moderators have even admitted in another thread that V1.0.9.88 has 'some issues' and they are working on them. The list of problems is long and varied, from DLNA server problems to Wifi disconnects and even the update bricking routers. Oddly it seems not every users has problems, but many do. Worse, NG, even knowing the problems has NOT removed the f/w (nor the prior one that is just as bad) from the d/l support page. Matter of fact, every day, users that have AUTO-UPDATE enabled are getting the latest 'questionable' update applied and then seemingly out of know where have router problems.

Message 6 of 20
Mwaliph
Aspirant

@IrvSp I’m not sure how to revert back to a different build or different version of the firmware. My router at the moment is still not even able to connect via Ethernet cables. I’ve completed a reset But still no way to connect via the application, Ethernet or any other way for me at the moment. How do you implement the different version?
Message 7 of 20
IrvSp
Master

You'll probably need to do the TFTP method. Many people have experienced problems doing this. It can be done but it can be tricky.

See these 2 Netgear KB articles :

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Process is basically the same, but the last one is Windows specific.

Also, I suggest before trying this (of course you do need to d/l the .42 version and unzip it from Support tab) that you Google netgear tftp or just search this forum for tftp. Read some of those threads marked SOLVED too. It may help you avoid problems or if nothing else read the problems others had and be aware how to overcome them.

Message 8 of 20
DartDen
Initiate

So here I am December 5th 2019 having this same problem with this Netgear R7000 Wifi Router. Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Is there no solition coming?

Message 9 of 20
DomLC
Guide

Will be useless retype the first post.
I have the same issue, I need to unplug it every 18-24 hours!
My firmware version is:
V1.0.10.90_10.2.90
Any suggestestions ?
Thanks
Message 10 of 20
antinode
Guru

> Will be useless retype the first post.

So, when you start your own thread for your own problem, include a
link to any other relevant thread(s) which you might have found.  Also,
copy+paste is your friend,

> V1.0.10.90_10.2.90
> Any suggestestions ?

Other than those already offered here?  No.

V1.0.10.90_10.2.90 was withdrawn within about one day of its
publication.  V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 has been inciting complaints since its
publication.

A quick Web or forum search for either might find any number of
complaints.  The current consensus seems to be that V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 is
a better bet.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1834217

Message 11 of 20
DomLC
Guide

@antinode 

Many thanks for your replay

Please apologie me, I try to find solutions of my problem reading the post, and if I cannot found it I write a post, but as you evidence I am not very familiar with the rules.

I start to have problem from July 2019, do you have any idea where I can find the release date of the firmware and where I can download it?

I

f I understood correct you suggest me to downgrade the router to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44, which looks the release which looks have trouble free version; could you confrim it please? 

Many thanks for your patient

Dom_LC

Message 12 of 20
antinode
Guru

> [...] find the release date of the firmware and where I can download
> it?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions (and date).

> [...] could you confrim it please?

Yes.

Message 13 of 20
DomLC
Guide

@antinode 

I have not downgraded my R7000!

I looked for screen shoots of an old, perfectly functional configuration, from at least 3 years ago!

Just to give an idea in the old configuration, the Arlo menu was still present!

I performed a hard reset of the R7000, and copied the old values ​​to the new firmware menu where it corresponded.

The configuration worked perfectly for two and a half days, then an off /on became necessary.

I have always suspected that the problem was related to DHCP and everything around us. I can't be sure but the new firmware has also updated the DHCP section, as it is the only thing that has changed in the eco-system of my connection.

Keeping R7000 compatible with the new modems and extenders even Netgear is not easy being able to operate only on the firmware update.

I turned to the forum of my ISP, to find an upstream configuration that made the work of the R7000 as easy as possible, aware that the new ISP devices are increasingly complex and performing.

Now I have a stable connection and have been working for several days, which works with an EX7300 and an Honor WS831!

I thank @antinode for the attention and dedication dedicated to finding a solution to my problem

I wish everyone Happy New Year 2020

Dom_LC

Message 14 of 20
Maxsti
Aspirant

Hello

I have the same problem that occurs since summer every day the internal connection stops working and I have to close the router and restart it the firmware is the latest version and I have been using this router for more than 5 years

Message 15 of 20
DomLC
Guide

Hi Which firmware version run on R7000?

Who is your ISP?

Message 16 of 20
Trd2413
Initiate

V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 drops device connection very frequently. There's no new firmware update. Anyone get this problem resolved yet?
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 17 of 20
Trd2413
Initiate

Oh, just got off the phone with Netgear "support," who simply wanted to charge me for premium support, rather than address a community-wide problem. I'm now losing WiFi between 10-30 min. Won't ever buy a Netgear product again.
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 18 of 20
Charlywonka
Aspirant

I fix it using the V1.0.11.123_10.2.100 firmware , but theres a detail , i reset it and it still restarting every 5 hours , them i stop using the router and unplugged it from the wall for like 5 days , then i plugged it again to try a fix and i notice it was working well so i leave it for some more days and have been 3 weeks that the r7000 is working well , hope this info help .
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

v134 seems to be working for me as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

No reboot issues. Only the ones I cause. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7