Re: Nighthawk R7000 DOCSIS 3.1 compatible for Xfinity?

sbudnik
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 DOCSIS 3.1 compatible for Xfinity?

I have been having internet bandwidth issues since i switched to Xfinity service. Xfinity told me that i needed to check to ensure my wifi router was DOCSIS 3.1 compatible to ensure that i don't have this issue. I checked the online specs but couldn't find this information.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

the R7000 is a router only device.  Docsis 3.1 refers to modems. 

What modem are you using. If you're using an R7000 you'll have a box prior to the router. thats the modem. 

Or you have an all in one device and are looking at the wrong model number. What we'd like to be able to help you is modem and router model and firmwares.

Modem:

Router:

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 8
sbudnik
Aspirant

I have a netgear router only. my modem is Xfinity. while i understand what you are saying about DOCSIS 3.1 referring to the modem, Xfinity is telling my that my Netgear router must be compatible to handle the speeds that the Xfinity modem is offereing because of the DOCSIS 3.1. Does this make sense?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Docsis 3.1 is important for the modem not the router. They are accurate in that you need a router capable of handling gigabit speeds. the R7000 is capable of gigabit speeds. I've used it for gigabit successfully. did xfinity give you a compatible modem? A model for the xfinity will help to know if they gave you a gigabit compatible device or not. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 4 of 8

How about answering the question from @plemans? The modem?

It is there for a reason.

The issue is not DOCSIS but something else that is causing these "internet bandwidth issues".

What are those issues? Slower speeds than expected? How much slower?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@sbudnik wrote:

I have a netgear router only. my modem is Xfinity. while i understand what you are saying about DOCSIS 3.1 referring to the modem, Xfinity is telling my that my Netgear router must be compatible to handle the speeds that the Xfinity modem is offereing because of the DOCSIS 3.1. Does this make sense?

I'll try to help you understand this. DOCSIS 3.1 is a Modem Protocol that allows it to handle HIGHER SPEEDS. I have one, but my speed is not that high. My ISP is changing to all DOCSIS 3.1 as they soon might deliver GB speed. Right now, 400Mbps is the max, and most DOCSIS 3.0 modems top out at around 300Mbps.

This is ALL about INPUT speed. Output is the INTERNET SIGNAL. The output will be the SAME for all modem's, DOCSIS 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1. The only differencce, the SPEED delivered. Each has a MAX. speed capability, see here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS.

Now if you understand this, the next part is what is the ROUTER's max. speed it can handle? 1GB's service can never be fully reached. 940Mbps seem to be the max. down. Some routers, and depending on some settings can not reach this speed. That is WHY the ISP told you to make sure your router can handle the signal, but confusing you calling it DOCSIS 3.1 when they really meant the Internet speed.

Message 6 of 8
sbudnik
Aspirant

Totally understand and thank you for the helpful comment. Now just need to confirm if my router can handle the max router speed you indicated which I’m guessing it does.
Message 7 of 8
sbudnik
Aspirant

I haven’t been home to check the modem model from Xfinity but I will. Thank you so much
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E