Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000...Ethernet connections works fine, but Speedtest.net test on Ethernet port fails

tmiprov
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000...Ethernet connections works fine, but Speedtest.net test on Ethernet port fails

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000...Ethernet connections works fine, but Speedtest.net test on Ethernet port fails

What you download is a zip file. Did you expand it? The .chk file is inside the zip file. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000...Ethernet connections works fine, but Speedtest.net test on Ethernet port fails

More info. 

What do you mean fails? Slow, doesn't work, etc 

Explain what you have done. Have you recently updated the firmware?

What is the firmware version? A number, not just something like latest. 

Are you experiencing any other issues?

Message 2 of 11
tmiprov
Aspirant

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Being that I'm not home with my router now, I can't obtain the firmware version until later in the day which I will do.

In the meantine, here is the problem...

When I connect an ethernet cable from anyone of my 4 router ports to my PC, I get a solid internet connection (this is with wifi disabled). I'm able to browse and do whatever I want.

During this connection, if I run a speedtest, I get practically nothing for download (.5M) and upload.

If I remove the ethernet from my router and connect it directly to my cable modem, then run the same speedtest, I get a 100M download.

Is there a reason why this happens?

My other issue, if I don't have any ethernet connections from my router to a client, I still see "wired" devices on my Nighthawk App. This is in addition to any 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices that appear as connected devices.

Thanks so much Bill

Message 3 of 11
tmiprov
Aspirant

Hi Bill,

Just to follow up, my firmware version is...

V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 11
myersw
Master

Lots is issues with the .88 version of the firware. Would recommend you downgrade to .42, which most feel was the last good firmware.

Netgear for at least the last year has not been able to build a decent firmware. No fixes for known issues and also introducing new issues. Just wonderful. 

Message 5 of 11
tmiprov
Aspirant

Thanks so much Bill for the advice.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I downgrade to the .42 version?

Thanks Again
Message 6 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] how do I downgrade [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 7 of 11
tmiprov
Aspirant

Good morning Bill,

I'm almost there!

Upon trying to upload the .42 version, I get the error mssage..."Please assign the correct file.The file format is*.chk"

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggections

Thank you Bill

Message 8 of 11
myersw
Master

What you download is a zip file. Did you expand it? The .chk file is inside the zip file. 

Message 9 of 11
tmiprov
Aspirant

Hi Bill,

The solution of going back to version .42 worked!! It solved all my problems. I can’t believe how bad version .88 was and all the problems it caused. I would have never figured this out without your help!

Thanks you so very much!’
Message 10 of 11
myersw
Master

Glad things worked out for you.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7