Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 adds a new network called NETGEAR41-arlo_246912

laxamar
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 adds a new network called NETGEAR41-arlo_246912

I just upgarded my R7000 to the latest firmware from the device itself. Now I have an extra network that matches my real network called NETGEAR41-arlo_246912. I tried switching my device to another channel and it followed it. It's got the exact same strenght than my wifi. The net effect is that I have 2 signals on the channel and my coverage and bandwidth has suffered.

Anybody knows what that is and how to turn it off???

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
laxamar
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 adds a new network called NETGEAR41-arlo_24691

Ok, found a similar bug by someone else with a solution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-28-strange-3rd-...

Basically, they added a feature and enabled it by default. It's in the STANDARD settings and not ADVANCED setting. Disable arlo. Ugh.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
laxamar
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 adds a new network called NETGEAR41-arlo_24691

Ok, found a similar bug by someone else with a solution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-28-strange-3rd-...

Basically, they added a feature and enabled it by default. It's in the STANDARD settings and not ADVANCED setting. Disable arlo. Ugh.

Message 2 of 6
rpoffen
Virtuoso

After upgrading to 1.0.6.28, did you do a hard reset to factory defaults and reconfigure by hand? If not, have you checked that you can actually connect to the 2.4G band?

Most people who upgraded and did not do this reset no longer can connect to the 2.4G band. If you did not have any problem, then you are one of the lucky few.

Message 3 of 6
TB77
Aspirant

I also upgraded my R7000 to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 from the device itself and noticed I have an extra network that matches my real network called NETGEAR41-arlo_.  I turned off the defaulted ARLO and it did stop broadcasting as a network option.  However wifi performance has been about 1/2 of what it was and the 2.4 band is unstable.  I downgraded the FW but the ARLO reappeared as a wifi network option on my iphone but when I login to the router there is no longer an option to turn it off with the downgraded FW.  Performance improved some on the wifi channels but still not what it was before the FW upgrade!  I have not done a factory reset and really not looking foward to it... I have 18+ devices and a wifi extender that would all need to be reset after a factory reset.

I can't believe NETGEAR sent me an e-mail telling me to upgrade the FW and I find out it has so many problems that they removed the FM version!!

Message 4 of 6
rpoffen
Virtuoso

@TB77 wrote:

I also upgraded my R7000 to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 from the device itself and noticed I have an extra network that matches my real network called NETGEAR41-arlo_.  I turned off the defaulted ARLO and it did stop broadcasting as a network option.  However wifi performance has been about 1/2 of what it was and the 2.4 band is unstable.  I downgraded the FW but the ARLO reappeared as a wifi network option on my iphone but when I login to the router there is no longer an option to turn it off with the downgraded FW.  Performance improved some on the wifi channels but still not what it was before the FW upgrade!  I have not done a factory reset and really not looking foward to it... I have 18+ devices and a wifi extender that would all need to be reset after a factory reset.

I can't believe NETGEAR sent me an e-mail telling me to upgrade the FW and I find out it has so many problems that they removed the FM version!!

This is because it appears that the way Netgear designed their settings database internally is not compatible when switching between versions of FW. Because of this, features or fragments of settings may appear to "leak" across FW versions. If you do a hard reset to factory defaults followed by a manual reconfigure after each FW change, then I think both your problems would have disappeared (2.4G unstable on 1.0.6.28 and arlo SSID on 1.0.4.xx. Port forwarding also broke).

I know this is a pain in the a--, and I don't know if this is intentional, not well designed, or just an expected fallout, but either way we seem to have to live with it.

Message 5 of 6
laxamar
Aspirant

I did NOT have to revert to old firmware or reset. But I did do something that was different. While trying to debug, I had enabled "Smart Connect" in the Advanced Setup Wireless section. This makes the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz setting the same with the device switching to the least busy. In theory. I'm 99% sure the devices have to know about this, or they will stick with one band!

At any rate, Once I found the arlo setting. I also disabled the "Smart Connect" and had 2 different SSIDs. This *might* reset the 2.4 correctly. It seems to work with mine with no issues.

I suggest you re-upgrade the firmware, enable smart connect. Disable Arlo. Disable smart connect.

Good luck and let us know.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7