Re: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware

Christiedub
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Firmware

I have the Nighthawk R7000.  We use VoIP phones.  Our carrier says we need an older firmware that is not listed in the previous firmware downloads.  I need

v. 1.0.0.58_1.0.50

HELP!

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Christiedub wrote:

I have the Nighthawk R7000.  We use VoIP phones.  Our carrier says we need an older firmware that is not listed in the previous firmware downloads.  I need

v. 1.0.0.58_1.0.50

HELP!

I have no idea why they'd say that.

can you go into detail of what issue you're actually having? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> RAXE500->
Message 2 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Christiedub  I have just looked at the Netgear official firmware download page and I cannot even see the firmware version you have mentioned in your post. Maybe that version is so old, it is not even considered worth the risk of applying it, or, it is for a completely different model of Netgear router. If you click on previous versions after the current version listed, there is a whole list of what you could potentially roll back to.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download

My personal advice would be, don't roll back to anything but just download the latest firmware. That being said, there are numerous complaints that the latest firmware is killing 5g wireless from users routers but this is just not the experience I am having. I'm not suffering any problems/dropouts on WiFi at all, but my environmental factors/modem/ISP, cabling etc may be a lot more different to other users. Plus my R7000 is a fairly recent build and has only had one firmware update, i.e. the latest. Yes, there are still seemingly a couple of bugs in the new firmware that really shouldn't be there and Netgear need to sit down and have another look at it to resolve those glitches.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have just looked at the Netgear official firmware download
> page and I cannot even see the firmware version you have mentioned in
> your post. [...]

Try the page for the R7000P?

> I have the Nighthawk R7000. [...]

Look again at the product label?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and
Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the
kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file
for instructions.

And, of course, experience with an R7000 may not apply to an R7000P.

Message 4 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

@Portwey84  said:

"That being said, there are numerous complaints that the latest firmware is killing 5g wireless from users routers..."

As accurate and encompassing as that statement is, it's also worth mention that problem is related to more than a single fora and is very likely that the issue is interlaced with procedural process' that are introducing conflicts and corruption during upgrading.

The suggested FW upgarde procedure is:

1. Factory Reset

2. Update FW from wired connected computer

3. Another Factory Reset

4. Enter all new configuration settings manually and not from saved config file

Message 5 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@additude  In all fairness, I have mentioned on several occasions in other threads concerning firmware updates, that the very processes you have mentioned COULD be a contributing factor to some of the problems you have detailed.

Afaik,there shouldn't be any need to carry out any sort of factory reset either prior to or at the end of a hardwired firmware upgrade, but, as we are now all acutely aware, there seem to be an unknown number of users who maintain that their routers aren't playing very well with the new firmware, hence all of the apparent rollbacks to previous firmwares. When I upgraded mine from v.64, I didn't do a factory reset, I just did a reboot and carried out what I believe to be best practise for conducting a firmware update, hardwired and definitely not via WiFi or Netgear's App.

Message 6 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

@Portwey84 

I apologize for coming across a bit brash and condecending, I think I could have structured my reply differently, however briefly after begining my composition at the moment I was rushed for time with the wife emerging from the bedroom herself in a rush to get underway, grab her essentials, leave for work and all that entails.....

Hence I am living proof of the saying, "Haste Makes Waste" ......

My initial focus was on trying to expose that updating process as much as possible so that as many souls as possible were aware of it.

I truly could have done so without bringing attention to you.

I started off with the right foot and ended on the left... (Ummm, no offence intended for any left footed people)  Smiley Wink

Once again, sorry and you have my apologies.

Message 7 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@additude  Sir, you have no need to apologise for anything, no offence taken in anything you said in your post. Sharing opinions and thoughts are what Forums such as this are about.

I'm still not convinced that all of the problems that users are reporting with firmware, are entirely down to the router. That isn't taking away or making light of what those users are saying, it's just that I'm ever more wondering if there are other issues affecting their setups that they are either not aware of, or matters that are beyond their ultimate control.

Believe me, if I were having any problems with the R7000 AC1900 model I have, I'd be the first to be ranting about it, but the fact is, my setup works and it works very well. It's just the stupid GUI bugs that Netgear clearly haven't sorted out that need addressing in my eyes.

If folks genuinely feel they need to move on and buy a different router from a different manufacturer, then that is entirely their choice and I'd do the same, but not until I'd exhausted every avenue known to me before I parted with my well earned Pounds Shillings and Pence.

Message 8 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

I share your thoughts when you say, "I'm still not convinced that all of the problems that users are reporting with firmware, are entirely down to the router".

Although there is a definate upswing in reported cases here in these forums that are seemingly related to FW or to upgrading the FW, I find it inconclusive and by no means do I find it 100% related to "Every Piece of Equipment affected by Model Number".

For as many here in these forums that are reporting the similiar problem, I can only imagine how many tens of thousands of purchasers and users that are either not reporting the issue for one reason or another or that are just plain and simply not experiencing the issue at all.

For such a Firmware Related spectacle to be true as I understand firmware, (and I currently do my fair share of writing computer code), if the firmware was indeed "broken", it would have to be equally "broken" for every user across the board that employed use of it and that would include any conditional issues as well such as enabling features, exposing "hidden" code obscurities, exceeding software and hardware limitations, etc.

My point is, what it would "not be" is some relation to a concept of "pick and choose", "some do and some don't", "maybe will and maybe won't". It's not a bacteria, it's hard code.

When it comes to coding, "it is" or "it is not" and either way, "it is repeatable".

I honestly don't believe at this juncture that definition of understanding has been established in regards to the reported problems.

Message 9 of 14
Christiedub
Aspirant

This is why I posted on the Community board.  I use 8x8 as my VoIP carrier for our phones.  The firmware version installed is causing ghosting calls and unregistered lines dropping calls.  The tech at 8x8 tells me that I need to drop back to the version previously mentioned in order to fix this.  When we try to fix the Outgoing distribution and SEC connections it still shows red X's as not taking the change.  I see that the version recommended is not on the previous versions list.  That is why I posted.  Does anyone know where I can get this older version?

Message 10 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

Guess question is this. Are we really talking about a r7000p. If you check r7000p firmware there is a v1.0.0.58. Also possible that the 8x8 support was thinking r7000p when in fact you have a r7000. At least I would talk with them again. 

I would be hesitant to drop back that far as there have got to be security fixes since then. 

I agree that you should not have to reset the router after a firmware update, unless there were some major changes that are impacted by current configurations. If that is the case it should be in the release notes. However, there are a number of folks on here that sware that a reset and reconfigure fixed there issue after an update. I really do suspect that a reset and reconfigure might be in order if the new firmware has had features removed to make way for Armor. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 11 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

What is the Vintage of your VoIP phones system that the manufacturer recommends a downgraded router FW version?

Message 12 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@additude  That is really quite a relevant question. I don't use Skype ever, it's all WhatsApp/Facetime, but your question spurred me to dig out a pretty ancient Netgear SPH101 out of a box. It's years old but I thought I would see if it would connect to my R7000. Whilst it picks up all available networks, I cannot get it to connect at all to my network. I changed the security to WPA but other than that, nothing else. So I'm wondering even if I did want to use the phone for Skype, I couldn't anyway because of ancient tech. Thoughts?

Message 13 of 14
Christiedub
Aspirant

I want to thank everyone for your help.  I was trying to follow the Tech Support at 8x8 to download old firmware.  After a week of downloading various firmware upgrades...I finally followed your advise and downloaded the latest.  It works great.  The problem is that the Tech Support manuals are not updated.  We follow their advise to not upgrade any further than a certain firmware version, and meanwhile everything that was a problem has been fixed in later upgrade versions.  THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR SETTING ME STRAIGHT.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements