Re: Nighthawk R7000 IP Assignment Conflicts

bmugford
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 IP Assignment Conflicts

I've been working on this for the better part of a day. I've tried searching but can't seem to find anyone with the same issue.

I have a Hiton modem from Shaw Cable, with IP Passthrough turned on pushing through port 1. I have port 1 from the modem wired into the internet port on my Nighthawk router. It's been working for roughly 2 years now with no problems aside from the odd reboot. Just recently we've been having some major wifi issues. I've noticed that now some devices are starting to be assigned a 192.168.0.XX ip address from the modem instead of the Nighthawk, which assigns 192.168.1.XX ip addresses even though I'm definitely connecting through the Nighthawks wifi (the Hitron modem has it's wifi disabled). I still have IP passthrough enabled and have checked my WAN IP after being assigned to the two different LAN IP's that I am indeed getting two IP's from my ISP. I've tried resetting the Nighthawk, but I'm still having issues. I've even been given the 192.168.0.XX modem assigned ip on my laptop after plugging into the Nighthawk. 

Any suggestions on what to do from here would be appreciated!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
bmugford
Aspirant

I might have found the solution. I had DHCP enabled on the Shaw modem still. I had thought that using the passthrough port it would bypass the DHCP from the modem, but Shaw is telling me that we could still have the DHCP from the modem fighting with the DHCP from the router. I've disabled DHCP on the modem and so far so good. I will jump back on if there are any further problems.

Message 2 of 4

@bmugford wrote:

I had DHCP enabled on the Shaw modem still.

Looks like they supplied a modem/router. That is the most obvious cause of the symptoms you see.

Either put the modem/router into modem only mode, or the R7000 into access point mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Either put the modem/router into modem only mode, or the R7000 into access point mode.

There is no modem only mode on decent tripple-play networks CPE - thus they implement some tricks like this IP Passthrough. Look here for example IP Passthrough for Hitron CGNM-2250

"... IP Passthrough allows you to assign a public IP address to a device connected to your Hitron modem, effectively bypassing the Hitron's internal router. ..."

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E