Nighthawk R7000 QOS Gaming Lag

Snoman120
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 QOS Gaming Lag

V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

Latest 

We currently live outside a small city, and only have access to 1.5 Mbps DSL, and we're lucky we can get that even. For gaming, this works relativly well, with roughly 50 ms ping to Chicago. That is unless someone else is using the internet. Something as simple as loading a webpage is enough to throw ~900 ms ping for several seconds, not so good when playing Counterstrike. We purchased this router 2 days ago, placing the Westell 7500 Modem/Router in bridge mode. I turned on Dynamic QOS, and this seemed to only do a better job of pushing the lag spikes down to ~300 - ~600 ms when somedody started watching youtube or downloading, which is still not playable. I just read turning WMM off could help, and in my latest youtube while counterstrikeing test got ping between 50 ms and 450 ms while playing. I also tried setting my computer to highest priority mode, and this seemed to do about the same as leaving it in dynamic mode. My current QoS setup is as in the screen shot. Is this as good as QoS gets?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
juched
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk R7000 QOS Gaming Lag

Try to lower your upload and download speeds set in QoS slightly until this stops. The lag is from the other traffic saturating the line, so you need to limit it a bit more.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements