Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Router Firmware

Does anyone know what kind of Firmware I am running? I bought this Router like over a year ago, had so many issues I just gave up on it. When I search for new firmware it says I am up to date? But on the site the newest firmware has a different name, thanks in advance. r7000

Message 51 of 68
Highlighted
Master

You are on an OLD 'pulled' Firmware, V1.0.5.48. Th present BETA is V1.0.5.62, but the 'official' firmware (not Beta) is V1.0.4.30. They are posted in the forum. Suggest you get one or the other. Be sure to RESET after installing as you are downgrading.

Message 52 of 68
Highlighted
Tutor

Currently on V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 provided by Netgear among others. Highest version I've seen. No change. Getting 1gig fiber in month and will get a new router and switches from another vendor then.
Message 53 of 68
Highlighted
Master

@schneid wrote:
Currently on V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 provided by Netgear among others. Highest version I've seen. No change. Getting 1gig fiber in month and will get a new router and switches from another vendor then.

This IS the latest Beta, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-62/td-p/1078114,  give it a try. All other Beta's have been pulled. Any number above this is known to be 'buggy' as well as some early V1.0.5's other that .60 which was the first released after other beta's were pulled. NO Arlo support in any new beta.

Message 54 of 68
Highlighted
Tutor

Why is the Firmware installed by Netgear on Tuesday a HIGHER version number than the "latest" you mention?

Also thanks for the tip about Arlo. I almost blew a bunch of bucks on them.

Message 55 of 68
Highlighted
Master

@schneid wrote:

Why is the Firmware installed by Netgear on Tuesday a HIGHER version number than the "latest" you mention?

If you are dealing with Netgear Support I would assume they have later levels of the Beta than the ones released for general testing? I could also be a 'special' one with debug capability or known to them to fix your specific problems? You'd have to ask them I guess? I just a 'user' like you.

The version they put on might have Arlo support, if it has an Arlo SSID avalable then it does.

Message 56 of 68
Highlighted
Tutor

FYI, v1.0.6.40_1.1.90 fixed the main problem I was having with an older v1.0.4.x_x (admin web interface would just stop responding after a number of days and I would have to reboot the router to get it to come back up). And I've seen no other new problems with it  myself.

At this point downgrading would be more of a crapshoot to me then just leaving it be. With NetGear firmware you should quickly learn "use what works and stick with it". Trying to stay with the latest versions, reverting, etc. is all just a headache you don't need unless the newer firmware has been out for months and gained a stable reputation. (I haven't seen that happen in a long, long time....)

p.s. FYI, I have 101Mb connection and regularly see downstream test speeds that actually surpass that with this router and firmware. I participate in the FCC SamKnows monitoring router program so I would know if I was getting speed drops. So your issue may not be the router. Just a data point.

Message 57 of 68
Highlighted
Star

The higher version is the latest beta to include Arlo support. Netgear then made the decision to drop Arlo support for the moment and focus on stability in the later betas and decided to give them lower version numbers because they are ultimately a step backwards. 

Message 58 of 68
Highlighted
Apprentice

I have been using V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 since I bought this router. I bought it to allow me to remove the need for the Arlo base station. I've had no issues up until recently, and now found out about this, and that there is no Arlo support in the recommended versions of firmware you're suggesting, and I've sold the Arlo base station, and looks like new firmware has been promised since February.

So can someone from Netgear tell me how to go about obtaining a refund for my Arlo Cameras and R7000 router?

Message 59 of 68
Highlighted
Initiate

Well, it's been months that I've had network issues with 1.0.6.28 and I've dealt with them. Here's what the issue was for my R7000 router. Basically, the 2.4ghz frequency was unreliable to non-existent. I discovered this recently when I purchased a home automation device that only works on the 2.4ghz frequency. It wouldn't connect to my network and after hours of pulling my hair out and blaming the device I sat down and started troubleshooting deeply, with the knowledge that this new device would only work in the 2.4 spectrum. After playing around with using one SSID, two different SSIDs, Smart Connect on, Smart Connect off, 20/40 coexistence, etc. I deduced that none of my devices could connect to the 2.4ghz band. I went to Netgear looking for new firmware and was confused by the latest version showing up as 1.0.5...

As soon as I downgraded my firmware, my router is working like it should. All is fine and everything is solid as a Nighthawk.

I only posted this in case someone is experiencing the same issues with 2.4 connectivity. I don't know if that was one of the "bugs" that Netgear claims was part of the issue with 1.0.6.28 but I'm glad there was a workaround, albeit late, for me.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 60 of 68
Highlighted
Apprentice

THANK YOU for this, claugustine!  I've been fighting with the 2.4GHz network connectivity simply "going away".  I've tried shutting off/on the 2.4GHz radio and rebooting.  Both workarounds only work temporarily at which point the band loses IP connectivity again.  I too had a 2.4GHz-only device (Wink hub) and never noticed until it started acting up.  I blamed the R7000 earlier than you, but until this post have not found a solution.

I'll try downgrading to 1.0.5.70 tonight ... unless, of course, an update to resolve this plus the
Web GUI Password Recovery and Exposure Security Vulnerability are going to be resolved soon.

- Dave

Message 61 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Is anyone seeing a problem with the router crashing and/or rebooting without warning? I am running FW V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

Should I try to downgrade to 1.0.5.70? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 62 of 68
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@Nicomachus wrote:

Is anyone seeing a problem with the router crashing and/or rebooting without warning? I am running FW V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

Should I try to downgrade to 1.0.5.70? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you should definitely try downgrading to the latest supported R7000 firmware -- 1.0.5.70.

Message 63 of 68
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@schneid wrote:

Actually, I love my Arlo battery-operated cameras.  They work fine with the included base station.  It's just the R7000 beta firmware that no longer supports them (without the extra base station).  I never tried to eliminate the extra Arlo base station -- Why bother?

@ShockwavePyro wrote:

I've sold the Arlo base station, and looks like new firmware has been promised since February.
So can someone from Netgear tell me how to go about obtaining a refund for my Arlo Cameras and R7000 router?

Sorry, that's very unfortunate.  You can try contacting Arlo support and pleading for some compensation or another Arlo base station: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/?cid=wmt_arlo_organic

Message 64 of 68
Highlighted
Apprentice

I need a new wireless router anyway, so thought kill 2 birds etc. didn't realise the firware was beta or wouldn't have bothered.

Message 65 of 68
Highlighted
Master

If you call support they DO have a 'new' beta with Arlo support. Otherwise, the Official V1.0.5.70 is the latest, but has no Arlo support. I understand the new beta from Support does work better than the removed old beta's.

Message 66 of 68
Highlighted
Guru

I've been running it since it was released with no issues.  The latest Android Arlo app has problems with the camera attached to the router showing as offline but records fine and a browser shows fine.  Just a display issue for the app.

Message 67 of 68
Highlighted
Guide

@jguerdat wrote:

I've been running it since it was released with no issues.  The latest Android Arlo app has problems with the camera attached to the router showing as offline but records fine and a browser shows fine.  Just a display issue for the app.

I see "2.4GHz WiFi stability improvement."

Is it better than .70 for 2.4?

Thanks

Message 68 of 68