Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Slow Download Speeds

I've been using an R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router for about two years now.  I've been slowly upgrading my DSL service speeds and my latest speeds until today topped out at about 25 Mbps that i was paying for.  The router was working well wired or via WiFi to match the speeds i was supposed to get for the service.  Today I had 80 Mbps service activiated through my DSL provider using bonded technology.  I should make it clear my MODEM is one supplied by my DSL provider and supports the 80 Mbps bonded technology (when i hook up a computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable I'm getting 80+ Mbps).  However when i hookup the subject router to the modem via a ethernet cable I'm getting download speeds of about 22-23 Mbps whether I'm connecting to the router via WiFi or a direct ethernet cable to the router.  I did a power re-boot of the router hoping that it just needed to sense the new communication speeds but no change in the transfer rates.  Any suggestions that will allow me to gain the full 80 Mbps bandwidth?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow Download Speeds

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

And what is the model of the modem?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to give me some input Michael.  Some details below to help:

• The modem is a zyxel C3000Z purchased from Century Link
  • Firmware version on the router is V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 which I see on Netgear's site is one behind the "current version" of 1.0.9.60
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Master

Have QoS on? Turn it off.

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted

@ISUMaddog wrote:
  • The modem is a zyxel C3000Z purchased from Century Link

This modem is actually a modem/router.

Using your ZyXEL C3000Z | CenturyLink Internet Help

Look at all the LAN ports on the back and the bottom of the table, where it says Router.

This means that you probably have two routers on your network, the C3000Z and the R7000. That can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you may need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It is hard to know if this has anything to do with your speed issues, but it certainly will not help.

A quick test would be to, put the R7000 into access point mode and leave it to the C3000Z to be the router.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point. If that gets you the speeds you want, then you will have to decide what to do, disable the router bit of the modem, or use the R7000 in AP mode, which means that you lose various features.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Once again thanks Michael ... a bit more clarity:

• I have the WiFi radio turned off on the modem so it's not broadcasting any SSID.  This is how i ran with the past Zyxel modem that also had WiFi and they seemed to play together fine.
  • I have the WiFi turned on on the R7000 as i've had very good success with streaming with this router and handling traffic up until now.  Even at the prior 20Mbps service i've been able to stream 2-3 HD signals around the house with casual internet usage with very little drop out.
  • I don't know for a fact that the Zyxel wouldn't do decent Wifi but hated to give up on the Nighthawk given the prior success.
  • I'm not a highly knowledgable network guy but have been able to manage decently in the past.  I'll take a look at some of your suggestions.  I guess given the setup i'm using i was trying to use the Zyxel as just the modem device to provide the internet service to the house and with the WiFi turned off on it, just use the R7000 as my WiFi access point.  That said i guess i don't understand the difference between this approach and actually changing a setting on the router to "access point" mode.
  • I've heard of the "access point" mode/protocol, but i'll have to do some reading as i don't fully understand what it's doing.

Again thanks for the tips and i'll do some reading and learning.

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted

@ISUMaddog wrote:

Once again thanks Michael ... a bit more clarity:

• I have the WiFi radio turned off on the modem so it's not broadcasting any SSID.

This does not turn off the modem/router's router features.

If it is just the wifi that matters to you, then AP mode would be fine.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I guess i was not aware that by turning off the WiFi radio on the modem/router that it would still have conflicting routing going on between the modem/router and the R7000!  I'm always learning...love it!  Apparently at the slower internet speeds i've had in the past the two have not head butted enough to cause issues?

So if i want to use all of the features of the Nighthawk R7000 router (not just the WiFi connection point) is there a way, or is it even recommended, to somehow disable the routing of the modem/router and have it managed by the Nighthawk?  The reason i ask is i would like to possibly use some of the router features going forward that i'm guessing would not work in wireless access point mode.  Features like connecting a hard drive to the router for "cloud storage" and setting up a DLNA media server.

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Master

@ISUMaddog wrote:

I guess i was not aware that by turning off the WiFi radio on the modem/router that it would still have conflicting routing going on between the modem/router and the R7000!  I'm always learning...love it!  Apparently at the slower internet speeds i've had in the past the two have not head butted enough to cause issues?

So if i want to use all of the features of the Nighthawk R7000 router (not just the WiFi connection point) is there a way, or is it even recommended, to somehow disable the routing of the modem/router and have it managed by the Nighthawk?  The reason i ask is i would like to possibly use some of the router features going forward that i'm guessing would not work in wireless access point mode.  Features like connecting a hard drive to the router for "cloud storage" and setting up a DLNA media server.

Yes, call the ISP and tell them you want the modem/router put into BRIDGE MODE. That way the only part working is the output from the wired connection to the router.

THIS WILL SHOW YOU what is disabled under AP mode.

As for connecting a USB drive, this isn't going to be as good as a NAS, and 'Cloud Storage' can work but some programs may not be able to use it. Some will require you assigning a drive letter to the drive and using it as a NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE. Works fine as a DLNA server though.

Just disabling the Wifi Radio would not turn it off (not sure what you actually did) and it would broadcast wifi, you just couldn't see the SSID. If it broadcast on the same channel as the R7000 you would get interfernce from it reducing speed.

Once it is put into BRIDGE mode you should be OK (if the modem/router can support that).

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted

@ISUMaddog wrote:

So if i want to use all of the features of the Nighthawk R7000 router (not just the WiFi connection point) is there a way, or is it even recommended, to somehow disable the routing of the modem/router and have it managed by the Nighthawk? 

You'll have to consult the manual for the zyxel C3000Z. The thing to look for is "bridge mode".

Configure WAN Settings on your ZyXEL C3000Z | CenturyLink Internet Help

There's no reason not to do that if possible. The router will handle the rest. 

Of course, this does not guarantee that you suddenly see the speed you are paying for, but it will eliminate one possible cause.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11

@IrvSp wrote:

THIS WILL SHOW YOU what is disabled under AP mode.

Er, see above.

As for connecting a USB drive, this isn't going to be as good as a NAS, and 'Cloud Storage' can work but some programs may not be able to use it. Some will require you assigning a drive letter to the drive and using it as a NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE. Works fine as a DLNA server though.

And if you do go down the USB road, check that you have a drive that is compatible with the primitive NAS that is ReadySHARE. Anything >4TB is likely to fail.

As @IrvSp says, a proper grown up Ethernet NAS is better, albeit more expensive.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements