Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi all of a sudden

Nplus1
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi all of a sudden

Hello Community,

Yes, this is yet another "my WiFi is slow" topic that I have to open because after reading almost all the other similar topics out there I notice my problem is slightly different.

I have a 1Gbit FTTH connection going into a modem/router provided by my ISP. The WiFi connection on the ISP modem is disabled and I have a wired connection between the modem and the R7000. For several reasons I keep both the modem and the R7000 in router mode which does not pose a problem.

The speedtest result for wired connection directly to the modem is around 930 Mbps and I get more or less the same result when connecting the R7000 in between: ISP modem -> cable to R7000 -> cable to laptop.

The speedtest result on 5Ghz WiFi used to be, up to a few days ago, in the 580-630Mbps, however all of a sudden, without touching any setting and without updating the firmware I started getting 330-350Mbps max with the same speedtest servers as usual.

This is where things get strange: I was on V1.0.9.26 and I decided to upgrade to V1.0.9.28 thinking that it might bring back the usual speeds. No improvement (including after a hard reset).

I then downloaded and flashed several versions that have been recommended by people in the multiple topics I have read: V1.0.7.6_1.1.99, V1.0.9.14_1.2.25, V1.0.9.18_1.2.27, V1.0.9.26_10.2.31, back to V1.0.9.28_10.2.32 and even V1.0.9.30_10.2.33. Absolutely NO improvement, the download speed hovers around 330-350Mbps with every firmware version (upload speed is maxed at 250Mbps for an advertised 300Mbps).

Even though I did not change the WIFi channels and there seems to be no interferance from other routers on the channels I use (checked with WiFi Analyzer on Android), I thought there might be some other type of interference so I took out an Asus RT-AC1200g+ I had stored away and tested that also. I turned off the R7000 and connected the Asus with the same cable in the same spot and configured the 5Ghz network to use the same channels as the R7000. I had to switch the Asus to AP Mode to avoid the CPU bottleneck (only a single core, limiting the max speed in Router mode). Oddly enough, the Asus gets up to 580Mbps........ I turn off the Asus, put the Netgear back on and I get only 350Mbps.

So by this time it's obvious that my R7000 has a problem that cannot be fixed with firmware downgrades/upgrades and/or hard resets. QoS, is disabled; WMM is enabled, Remote Access and Traffic Meter are disabled (standard configuration after reset).

What can this be? If it's a hardware issue affecting the download speed, shouldn't the link speed also be affected? (link speed 1Gbps wired and 866Mbps on WiFi - 2x2 network cards)

Just for information, the router is less than 6 months old. Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi all of a sudden

Hi Nplus1, 

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Nplus1
Aspirant

Hello Blanca,

Thanks for the heads up. I just updated, did a factory reset and ran several speed test and the problem remains: 350Mbps down, 250Mbps up with a FTTH connection 1Gbps down / 300Mbps up.

Would it be possible to have a hadware issue that would limit the download speed although the link speed to each client is 866Mbps (2x2 AC network cards)? Or asked differently, does having link speeds of 866Mbps to each client rule out a hardware issue with the radios for example?

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 7
Perm44
Initiate

Very similar issues... Seems WiFi speed are very unstable and variable.... Bianca does your WiFi speeds also vary
Message 4 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Nplus1, 

Please provide a screenshot of the Statistics page. To get this information, please access router UI and go to Advanced TAB > Show Statistics. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Perm44, 

Our WiFi connection in our laboratory is stable. Have you tried changing the channel? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
Nplus1
Aspirant

As a follow-up, after more than 2 weeks of discussions with the Netgear France Support and getting stupid suggestions like google links explaining how to improve the Wifi signal strength, I just gave up and sent the router back to Amazon. In just 5 days (out of wich 2 days were for shipping) I had a confirmation of the problem by the Amazon repair center. Their policy for this kind of product is to replace, not to repair it, so they just sent me a new R7000 without investigating too much into the source of the problem.

In the meantime, after 2 series of screenshots and test results that I have provided to Netgear support (at least 10h of work in total, flashing at least 7 firmware versions, etc) I am still waiting for an answer from their side as to if this looks like a hardware problem and I should send the router for repairs or not.

Aweful experience in general. The support website is not intuitive at all, customers can't reply to ticket comments, tickets that are closed (and they are being constantly closed without the issue being solved) just disappear so at the end of the 2 week period I had to open at least 4 tickets, we can only upload one file to a ticket at a time, etc.

Although I was really happy with how stable and reliable the R7000 had been for 2,5 months, discovering this ugly side of Netgear and running so quickly into issues with a product which is by no means cheap, made me decide to stay away from Netgear products in the future.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements