Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

Neth
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

Hi!

I've been having some issues with my Nighthawk R7000 for quite some time.
I've googled and read contless forums on the issue but have never found any solution which has worked for me.

The problem is that if i run a speedtest on my LAN connection i get descent speed (about 200 Mbit/s u/l and d/l on a 1 Gbit fiber connection. I maybe should get more, but I can't say the router is to blame in that case).
However if I measure on the WiFi, I only get 20-25 Mbit/s on 5GHz and around 10 Mbit/s on 2.4GHz. This is when no1 else is streaming and when standing 3 metres from the router with full signal strength.

The router is placed so there should be low/no interference from surrounding equipment.
I've reviewed channel traffic and made sure the router is broadcasting on channels which is used by noone else.
I've made sure the antennas are correctly attached.
I've performed a factory reset and re-configured the router, same issue.
The currently installed f/w is V1.0.9.18_1.2.27.
I've also disabled things like vpn, QoS and guestnet to make sure no services or configurations will conflict/interfere.
I've disabled SmartConnect, same issue.
I've disabled coexistence for 2.4 GHz, same issue.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

PS.
I've done the speed measurement for my fiber connection using Bredbandskollen.se , which is the standard tool for measuring internet speeds in Sweden. The WLAN measurements was done using the same site on my Samsung Galaxy S7.
DS.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
XRaptor29
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

I believe all the issues start at 1.0.9.18 and continue to 1.0.9.26 firmware. Have you tried an earlier firmware and see if that fixes it?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
XRaptor29
Luminary

I believe all the issues start at 1.0.9.18 and continue to 1.0.9.26 firmware. Have you tried an earlier firmware and see if that fixes it?
Message 2 of 7
Neth
Aspirant

Hi XRaptor29 , and thanks for replying.

I have not tried to downgrade the firmware at any time.

If i where to try that, which version should I aim for? Wasn't there some security issue which was patched in one of the later f/w's?

Message 3 of 7
Neth
Aspirant

Hi Case850 , and thanks for replying.

I did have Access Control enabled. I disabled it but the problem remains the same.

All the other ones were already off.

Message 4 of 7
Neth
Aspirant

Update:

I downgraded the firmware to V1.0.9.14_1.2.25.

This seem to have helped for cabled connection.

New speed test shows:

D/L: 617,59 Mbit/s

U/L: 380,80 Mbit/s

However, when measuring Wireless speed with my S7 the results are still bad:

D/L: 19,57 Mbit/s

U/L: 18,04 Mbit/s

Message 5 of 7
Neth
Aspirant

Hi again and thanks for all replies!

I made a new factory reset after downgrading the firmware.

Now everything seem to run smooth. I tried some local streaming which did not funtion before and it works fine again.

I also did some speedtest on an old laptop, after the downgrade but prior to the latest factory reset, and it showed approx 50 Mbit/s. Not sure which wlan standard that old laptop supports, so 50 Mbit/s might be a descently good speed for it, considering it's old.

As I measure with my S7 it is consistantly at around 20 Mbit/s however, so my conclusion is that perhaps the S7 is not the best device to measure with since I can get a better speed on the old laptop. The low speed must be due to limitations or issues with the S7 rather than the WiFi itself at this point.

As of now I feel that everything is working "good enough" at least. So I see no reason at this point to continue troubleshooting.

Thanks alot for all your top notch replies!

Imo the solution was:

Downgrade firmware.

Reset router and reconfigure.

Message 6 of 7
GTPETE
Initiate

100% CORRECT - its 1:40am and I have been at this for 5 hrs swapping access points out and i finally got 2.4G to go fast enough.  Two things - upgrade to the 28 version firmware - and hard reset your Nighthawk 7000 - done.  Just remember your SSIDs and set them back that way and disable the 20/40mHz coexistance.  Thats it.  I couldnt even use my wireless printers it got so bad.  And we work from home so this is sooooo critical!  thanks for the advice!!!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7