Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

ezone
Star

Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

After the latest FW update (V1.0.9.34_10.2.36) my wifi starts jumping upp and down . I'v got 2 of R7000 and one is acting as AP.

I uppgraded FW then factory reset still same issue on both R7000 . Try to down grade to previus FW factory reset and yea i know the drill .

Same issue . Getting a bit agry about this issue ..no i don't have QoS aktivated. full speed on the wired connections 250/100 . But wifi ..5 down and 0.30 up .. fastest i could get were 10mb down 1 m from router and 3 mb up .. same issue with both of my R7000 ..

any ideas ?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 56

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ezone 

I have escalated this issue to our engineers and our support team would like to work with you. I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 56

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ezone 

I have escalated this issue to our engineers and our support team would like to work with you. I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 56
Franchester
Tutor

I am also having issues with speed when connected to my nighthawk
Message 3 of 56
aabshire
Apprentice

Exact same issue with mine

Message 4 of 56
JohnWill
Tutor

Same issue.  Tired of messing around with the settings.  Terrible speeds, cannot get better than 20 mbps wireless. V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.  Using wifi scanner I've locked router to a quiet channel but have seen in the same scanner the 2.4 GHz network spiking every few seconds.  Unusable

Message 5 of 56
Derickm
Tutor

I read the "solved" description for the R7000 and 5G radio that turns on and off.  I have two R7000's (both early production and later), neither keeps the radion running.

The up/down time varies, but the cycle isn't longer than 3 minutes.  I get connected, and then it is down again for a few seconds to minutes.

I can watch the radio come up then down using a WiFi Analyzer app on my tablet or phone.

Is there older firmware that never had this problem?  Old and works is better than new and fails.

Thanks, Derick

Message 6 of 56
aabshire
Apprentice

After going through this before and now again with another update, I am about ready to move to an alternate frimware.  

Message 7 of 56
ezone
Star

Not solved yet and haven't head from them
Message 8 of 56
frataplawi
Aspirant

Same problem Here

Any news ?

Wifi very slow and the whole router seems to be slowing down after a few minutes since upgrading to V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.

Franck

Message 9 of 56
Punksonic
Tutor

Has this been fixed yet?! My router is so useless right now. I’m so close to buying a different one. Is there a fix?!? I still can’t believe that I’m paying for 100 Mbps and getting 9 Mbps on WiFi. Please please please help!!!
Message 10 of 56
00seven
Aspirant

Also having slow wifi problems on latest firmware.  wired speeds are fine.  I have Gig Fiber but on Wifi, even right next to the router, I now only get 25-30Mbps.  I previously was getting 200+Mbps in the same location on the same device.

Message 11 of 56
DASBUSEN
Initiate

Experiencing this same exact issue. Also the "Solved" comment isn't a solution.

Also I'd like to note ive tried to downgrade to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 and my router tells me no..... *AWESOME*

Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 56
Franchester
Tutor

Does Netgear even look at these posts? I only get responses from other users with the same issue. I'm starting to think the fix is to throw this POS in the trash.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 13 of 56
chimchim8000
Tutor

I am also having the same problem with speeds going up and down since upgrading to firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.  I cannot seem to find any reason for it.  One minute my 5G band is at 154 Mbps and the next second it is at 20 Mbps.  No new devices or anything else other than the upgrade in firmware.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 14 of 56

@Franchester wrote:
Does Netgear even look at these posts? I only get responses from other users with the same issue. I'm starting to think the fix is to throw this POS in the trash.

Same issue?  Not here.

1.0.9.34 FW is working well for me.

I am 100% stable at max speeds across both interfaces. I flashed twice and reset as the first time I enabled something and lost 1/2 of my downstream bandwidth over ethernet.  Didn't know what it was, but was determined to figure it out before downgrading.  Fortunately, I didn't need to.  It was "Traffic Meter" 

During testing, I also saw some super slow Wi-Fi speeds.  I was changing channels and letting the radios restart several times in succession between tests.  I saw some horrible wireless performance (less than a megabit).  Using Wi-Fi Analyzer I finally got proper channel selection and things fell right into place.  I found that it was better to restart the router after making a channel change.  So I would change a channel, let the radios restart, then do a reboot, then test speeds again.   I'm provisioned for 280/10 and get 300/12 over eithernet.  I get about 285 down on Wi-Fi.  Very respectable performance and stable.  No issues with 4k streaming either. 

Wired

wired.png

Wireless

Screenshot_20180829-191716_Speedtest.jpg     

Message 15 of 56
chimchim8000
Tutor

I wish changing the channels was helping me as it has helped you.  I followed the same procedures as you using WiFi Analyzer.  What I am seeing is that the signal strength on ALL the 2.4ghz band channels is now horrible since I updated the firmware and the signal strength often fluctuates way too much.  The 5ghz band channels have much better signal strength but still fluctuate quite a bit more than they used to.  It seems to me that this is why my internet speeds are now horrible on the 2.4ghz and fluctuate wildly and less wildly on the 5ghz band.

Anyone else seeing the same issues?

Message 16 of 56
Punksonic
Tutor

Mine does the same. After the last firmware the WiFi and the Ethernet is just dogged down. I reset my router and still terrible speeds. I continue on testing my speed throughout the day and it is like a rollercoaster. I connect my Xbox One directly to my modem and I’m at 140 Mbps constantly. I then plug it into my Nighthawk and it goes from 80 to 9 constantly. So what do I do now? Every time I want to play Xbox I direct connect it to my modem. So I have a NightHawk that is collecting dust while I wait for a fix. If it takes a month, I am going to buy a non Netgear router.
Message 17 of 56
DASBUSEN
Initiate

UPDATE: I factory reset it, and reconfigured it with my old settings for wifi... got my speeds back.

Message 18 of 56

@DASBUSEN wrote:

UPDATE: I factory reset it, and reconfigured it with my old settings for wifi... got my speeds back.

Good work!  1.0.9.34 is getting a bad rap.  While not perfect, its certainly one of the best builds in 1.0.9.x.  branch.

I hate having to reset too, but found it neccessary with this update.  I came from 1.0.7.6 which I had been running for 15 months (or more).

I don't enable automatic updates or use the GUI to check and update.  The best and safest way is to download the FW and undate from a PC connected via ethernet.  My first Netgear product was a WGR614v1 (2001 or 2002) .  I've been updating using this method for many years successfully.

I hope others here can get this figured out. 

Message 19 of 56
turdfursgon
Initiate

this router is crap i have to reboot or reset every week

Message 20 of 56
ezone
Star

Still haven't heard anyting from you woundeing if your support is wort anyting at all. Are very dissapointed of the lack of support.
Message 21 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@ezone wrote:
Still haven't heard anyting from you woundeing if your support is wort anyting at all. Are very dissapointed of the lack of support.

Have checked your PM (Messages)? @DarrenM mentioned early August 2018 having dropped you a message.

Overall, I can understand the many other community members also looking for a properly working R7000 - @ChristineT, another never ending nightmare for your customers.

PS. @DarrenM can't see on how a PM sent does qualify as a solution....

Message 22 of 56
ezone
Star

Yes he did and i did reply with the information about how to get in tuch with me and so on and i hear nothing from them.
Message 23 of 56
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ezone

Very sorry about no one contacting you I did escalate your issue back in August I did send your info over to support again for them to get in contact with you.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 24 of 56
ezone
Star

Well that sorry hasen't help me haven't had a working Wi-Fi since i reported this issue. And it seems that it aint solved yet.
Sad to say stuff like this gives the brand bad and unwanted pr. And your not compensating your customers makes it even look worse.
The lack of help from you forced me to get routers to maintain my Wi-Fi.. Not fun to put 300 dollars to get a working Wi-Fi cause a sofware upgrade makes it un usebel.
Message 25 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7