Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

ddister_1
Initiate

Nighthawk R7000 Slow WiFi speed

Wifi slowness issues. I have firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36,  which I just updated recently.

Any idea what the fix is?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ddister_1
Initiate

Shadowsports....I downloaded V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 to my laptop then uploaded/installed chk file through the router Advanced>Admin>Router Update>Browse to file downloaded to laptop file location. Which was the same FM I had already installed but I did that through the Geni updated within the router GUI. I have not done anything else. I had done a factory reset but that was before I downloaed the FM and installed it. So far I have not been disconnected like I was before. I will update my notes if wifi slowness has improved. Thanks shawdowsports for your input in helping me with my issue.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies

See my post in this thread

Post back with your results.

Message 2 of 6
ddister_1
Initiate

Shadowsports....I downloaded V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 to my laptop then uploaded/installed chk file through the router Advanced>Admin>Router Update>Browse to file downloaded to laptop file location. Which was the same FM I had already installed but I did that through the Geni updated within the router GUI. I have not done anything else. I had done a factory reset but that was before I downloaed the FM and installed it. So far I have not been disconnected like I was before. I will update my notes if wifi slowness has improved. Thanks shawdowsports for your input in helping me with my issue.

Message 3 of 6

Fantastic.  Very pleased to get your feedback.  

If after flashing FW, you notice that things aren't behaving or performing as expected, resetting the router is usually a good idea.  You are also able to reflash the same version of FW over itself if/when needed.  

Next steps.  Use Genie for Android or Wifi Analyzer to see what channels other networks in your area are broadcasting on.  You can then change yours to acheive a degree of separation and avoid overlap.  This helps to improve the broadcast performance of your wireless networks (2.4G, 5G)

Look at the (example) image below.  This is the Genie for Android App displaying a list of 2.4 and 5Ghz networks broadcasting in my vicinity.  Notice the number of networks broadcasting on channel 1 (2.4Ghz).  There are 7 broadcasts using this channel near me.  If this were my wireless, I would not want to use channel 1 and become the 8th broadcast using the same channel.  Channel 4 or 8 which no one is using might be better choices.  Now, you get the best overall channel separation on 2.4Ghz using channels 1, 6 or 11...  but this isn't always possible.  Different regions of the world have more channels, so if you live in Europe for example, you might have up to 14 channels to chose from.  US is 11 currently. 

The same goes for your 5Ghz broadcast.  Channel 56 is a excellent choice.  There is only one 5Ghz network broadcasting on this channel and as you can see the signal it is broadcasting in relation to my location is low.  Interference can be defined in 2 ways (basically) the number of broadcasts using the same frequency (channel) and the the strength of those signals in proximity to you.  The less interference you have the better your wireless will perform.   

Screenshot_20180906-163000_genie.jpg

Message 4 of 6
henrikolsson
Aspirant

As noted by XRaptor29 firmwares 1.0.9.18 to 1.0.9.26 have issues. Try to upgrade to 1.0.9.34 and perform factory reset, that did the trick for me - I went from 40-50 Mbps practical speed to 500. I didn't really believe the factory reset part, but it was necessary.

Message 5 of 6
WaltK210
Aspirant

This problem still exists in V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.  The problem is on the WiFi side only.

The log shows that the router continually drops packets.  Pings from WiFi to the switch port start out fine after a reset, but then the times start to rise.  Its not uncommon to see 300-800ms ping times from the WiFi device to the router LAN port.  This problem does not occur on the wired side.  I have tried all the suggestions about factory resets, disabling one radio or the other, etc, but nothing helps.  

I have a home and an office with nothing but Netgear equipment and never a complaint.  I have tried to create a support ticket, but the site will not let me, even thought it says I get 30 days of complimentary support.

What is the solution Netgear !

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7