Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow wired speeds Verizon Fios

Nighthawk R7000 Slow wired speeds Verizon Fios

Hello, having issues with wired download speeds with my R7000 Nighthawk on Verizon Fios. I removed the Fios gateway, and have the Nighthawk router connected to the WAN from the ONT. I have a Actiontec 2.0 MoCA adapter plugged into a LAN port for my TV connections. Everything is connected working as it should. I have the gigabit service with Fios. When my comp was connected to the Fios gateway directly, I was getting close to 750Mbps. Gateway router connection was close to 1Gbps.

I tested my connection through the Fios speed test, Router was getting 936Mbps, where it should be. But, with no gateway and just the Nighthawk, I am getting 150Mbps on my wired computer connected to the router through the same speed test. Over 5ghz WiFi, my phone can get up to 220Mbps download speeds. Not sure why my wired connection through the Nighthawk is so slow. Thanks for any assistance.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

I did a reset of the ONT. No dice, still had slow speeds. So I did a factory reset on the Nighthawk. After comgin back up, I was going through all the settings and lo and behold, the IPv6 setting was disabled. I set it to auto-detect and after updating (showing as 6to4 tunnel), I am now getting close to gigabit d/l and u/l. No idea how or why it was disabled, but that was the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies

Some more info on my setup:

QoS is turned off, WMM is on.

Firmware: V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Connected on Port 4: Status 1000M/Full

Onboard ethernet adapter: Intel I211 Gigabit Status: 1.0Gbps Full Duplex (EEE Active)

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

the .64 firmware for the R7000 has been having plenty of issues if you search the forums. Best results with it was for people to do a reset before firmware upgrade and after the upgrade.

did it ever work at full speeds for you?

If it did but hasn't since the update, I'd recommend downgrading a version or 2 to see if that helps. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and do a factory reset afterward. The .42 firmware has been the one getting the most solid reviews for the R7000

Message 3 of 10

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did read about the new firmware. I had my Nighthawk connected to the Fios gateway as an access point. Wanted to use the Nighthawk to handle the wifi. Hard wired my comp to the Nighthawk and had same issues as now. Very slow. Hard wired into the Fios gateway and was getting over 750 Mbps. Was using an older firmware when it was setup.
Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

which version of firmware? The .60 and .62 rate about the same. 

Message 5 of 10

Did not make note what firmware was running in October last year when I had Fios installed. I could try to downgrade the firmware. Where would I find archived firmware?
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you pull up the R7000 page, down at the bottom of the downloads is + view previous verions.   Thats where it'll be. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

Make sure to do a reset after the downgrade. 

Message 7 of 10

Well, did a dowgrade to the .42 firmware. No dice. Still slow download speeds coming from the Nighthawk. Tested both firmware versions with the Fios speed test, router itself was at 930Mbps with both firmware versions, don't think it's the firmware. My comp download speeds were between 150-200 Mbps. Not sure what to try next. Is it possible there is something wrong with the router not being able to allow the high speeds?

Message 8 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Just a suggestion in case you have not already done so.  Power down both your R7000 and your ONT.  Power up the ONT and give it plenty of time to restart and stabilize.  Restart your R7000 and let it go through the boot process.  Check your speeds.

The ONT may have some settings specific to the Fios gateway.  A call to Fios tech support may help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 10

I did a reset of the ONT. No dice, still had slow speeds. So I did a factory reset on the Nighthawk. After comgin back up, I was going through all the settings and lo and behold, the IPv6 setting was disabled. I set it to auto-detect and after updating (showing as 6to4 tunnel), I am now getting close to gigabit d/l and u/l. No idea how or why it was disabled, but that was the problem.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7