Nighthawk R7000 Throttling Bandwidth

giroux02
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 Throttling Bandwidth

I'm having an issue with my router, where it keeps throttling internet speeds.

I currently pay for 120mbps, and confirmed that wired direct gives me 125mbps.

When the connected to the Nighthawk, I only receive the following:

• Wired: 90mbps MAX
  • Wireless: 55mbps MAX

Firmware is up-to-date as of today (Aug 9, 2017). Modem is a single feed CAT6 direct to Nighthawk, which is then hardwired to 3 other devices. Nighthawk is set in router mode.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Dgr8one05
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Throttling Bandwidth

I have the same issue.
Message 2 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

Have you tried resetting the router after uploading the latest firmware?

If not, factory reset it and then reconfigure the router.

In any case, it didn't work try to downgrade the firmware and see if it will change the speed.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 3 of 8
GIG_CityMatt
Tutor

Good afternoon. 

I have the R7000p and I am having the same issue. I live in Chattanooga TN and have 1000Mbps download/upload speeds direct connection with EPB Fiber Optics. When I plug into the router the speeds are throttled down to 100Mbps or less. I have tried with multiple routers of the same model and all have the same issue. I work for EPB Fiber Optics in Technical Support and have multiple customers reporting the same issue with this model router. I have updated firmware then reset to factory settings with no improvement. I recently set up an R6400 router (lesser model) on my connection and with factory settings it is giving me the full 1000Mbps direct from router and high 600Mbps via Wi-Fi. Is there a setting in the R7000p router that needs to be enabled/disables to allow the full GIG speeds to pass through? Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
GIG_CityMatt
Tutor

Issue has not been resolved with firmware updates 6 months later and have not received a response from a Netgear rep either. I assume there is no fix for this?

Message 5 of 8
Rca512
Tutor

I saw a similar problem with my system; The problem was a cable-modems issue - modem firmware update. 

View modem status at 192.168.100.1

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
GIG_CityMatt
Tutor

Appreciate the input. On our system we do not use a cable modem. We are fiber to the home and direct ethernet/CAT-5E connection from an ethernet port on the ONT. Since starting this post our ONT software has been updated twice with no improvement. This issue seems to be directly related to the R7000p model router. The R7000 works fine with our set up as well as all other brands and models of router. I guess it is a hardware problem that has no resolution unfortunately. 

Message 7 of 8
camaro84
Tutor

Hello!

I can only think of two instances at the moment that would cause a max 100Mbps.

First one is the cable. I know you said you were using a Cat6 cable, but iirc if one of the wires breaks, you're back down to 100Mbps. I know 4 wires only carry 100Mbps max (1,2,3, and 6 on the pins.)

Second possiblity is under adapter settings in control panel for your network adapter. Click on "Configure" and look for "Speed & Duplex." It's possible that the setting is set to "100" instead of auto or 1Gbps. (I know this isn't a router setting, but it's possible your pc only sees the set amount.)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E