Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Updated to Firmware Version: V1.0.8.34

shamarin
Virtuoso

Yes, the latest available is 1.0.7.12. Version 1.0.8.34 is rolling out and now is available to some users via updating and after all work is done will be available here to all. I wrote here about this (in this post):

Information from ElaineM:
"We are working to rollout a new firmware with additional features for existing customers in a phased manner. Once the rollout is completed, we will make the firmware available on support site for a wider audience."

Message 26 of 71

@bjwierda wrote:

V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 here

That's the latest on the support pages for this device:

>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

The newest version has yet to arrive there.

Message 27 of 71
shamarin
Virtuoso

From where you have such info that new version has yet to arrive to support page?

Message 28 of 71

@shamarin wrote:

From where you have such info that new version has yet to arrive to support page?

Start reading this discussion from the beginning.

Message 29 of 71
Diggie3
Luminary

This "analytics data" sounds like spyware to me. Do I actually have a real chance to turn it off before it's sent when the router boots back up? Has anyone inspected what is actually sent vs what Netgear claims?
Message 30 of 71
RW_MP
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Updated to Firmware Version: V1.0.8.34 - QoS Issues

Model: R7000 AC1900 Dual Band WiFi router
Firmware:V1.0.8.34_1.2.15
QoS reporting is confusing with firmware version1.0.8.34.
I have QoS configured and my Genie Home page shows it disabled.
My Ooma VOIP now has jitter issues with the new Router firmware 1.08.24.

QoSoff.JPG

QoS Configuration:

QoSon.JPG

QoSrules.JPG

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 71
FrenchFrog
Aspirant

This firmware 1.0.8.34_1.2.15 is crap. I install it on my Nighthawk R7000 and port formwarding is breaked. QoS is malfunctionning. I have to use tftp for rollup to 1.0.7. Apoligize for my bad english please.

Message 32 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do a factory reset before and after upgrading FW then set up from scratch using IE11 or FF? Besure to chear all broswer caches before and after loading the FW file. 

If this still fails, you could try OpenRouter FW to see if this helps any. 

@FrenchFrog wrote:

This firmware 1.0.8.34_1.2.15 is crap. I install it on my Nighthawk R7000 and port formwarding is breaked. QoS is malfunctionning. I have to use tftp for rollup to 1.0.7. Apoligize for my bad english please.

Message 33 of 71
FrenchFrog
Aspirant

Factory reset, clearing browser's cache, etc... After two times trying install this firmware, port forwarding is breaked. I don't install this firmware anymore. My browser is Google Chrome. I reinstall firmware 1.0.7.12 and all is ok. Fortunately, this firmware is not on the support's site.

Message 34 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably keep what you have that works loaded. Try OpenRouter FW at some point. Good Luck. 

Message 35 of 71
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something must have happened, my port forwarding pieces are working with this update along with the QOS...maybe not the same but advice from the mentor is spot on, good luck.
Message 36 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe you can help the user with his settings to see if anything sticks out. 

@dendk wrote:
Something must have happened, my port forwarding pieces are working with this update along with the QOS...maybe not the same but advice from the mentor is spot on, good luck.

Message 37 of 71
Crazyharry
Guide

Well, that's certainly the wrong way to do these things.

You first put up the support page so information is available for your clients, then you begin the rollout...

Especially when the new firmware has some worrisome features...

Message 38 of 71
FrenchFrog
Aspirant

Well, I try again 1.0.8.34 firmware update. Step 1 : Making firmware's parameters backup, Step 2 : Clearing browser cache, Step 3 : Revert to factory default settings, Step 4 : Upload firmware 1.0.8.34, Step 5 : After router reboot, reload saved parameters, Step 6 : Reboot router.

Finally : Success !
Message 39 of 71

@Crazyharry wrote:

You first put up the support page so information is available for your clients, then you begin the rollout...

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Netgear has support pages for all its products. It then adds new firmware as it emerges from development. The new code then joins the list of different releases. (There are now well over a dozen versions for this router.) It is then up to users to decide whether to install it or not.

Around the same time, Netgear also adds the new code to the automated update process. (Not everyone spends their life hanging around on support pages.) Again, it is then up to users to decide if they want to risk flashing with new firmware.

Most software houses, including Microsoft, pace the rollout of updates. Partly it is to see if the first users see any new problems – most firmware gets beta tested – but it also eases the strain on the servers.

Sometimes the support version arrives before the server version, sometimes it is the other way round.

ElaineM, of the official support team, explained the rollout strategy some days ago. (See above.)

Message 40 of 71
RW_MP
Aspirant

I agree with you Crazyharry.  Spent 40 years in product development and I would never release software or firmware in this fashion.  My update to 1.0.8.34 appeared in the Advance Router Update of Genie.  The release notes did not indicate a major change.  After the update, I am having problems with QoS.

* When QoS is enabled, the Genie Home page shows it disabled.

* When QoS is running my Ooma VOIP show jitter 4X as opposed to disabling it.  I tried three different configurations of QoS and have the same results.  Disabled QoS and my Ooma jitter is below 5 ms.

Message 41 of 71

@RW_MP wrote:

After the update, I am having problems with QoS.

Did you also reset the router to factory settings?

Message 42 of 71
RW_MP
Aspirant

No I did not reset my router to factory settings after the update to V1.0.8.34.

* This was nothing in the release note instructing me to reset after the update.

* It would take me hours to reconfigure the router after a factory settings reset.

Message 43 of 71
FrenchFrog
Aspirant

You shoud make a backup of your settings before update and restore your settings with this backup after the update.

Message 44 of 71

@RW_MP wrote:

No I did not reset my router to factory settings after the update to V1.0.8.34.

* This was nothing in the release note instructing me to reset after the update.

A reset is standard practice after a firmware flash. I am surprised that Netgear did not say so.

Depending on how much the firmware changes, it isn't always necessary, but a reset is the first thing to try if you experience the sort of issues you describe.

@RW_MP wrote:

* It would take me hours to reconfigure the router after a factory settings reset.

Yes. It is a serious nuisance, which is why it is a constant topic of discussion. Please allow us to export the settings in a user friendly format!

Failing that, screen grabs (Alt + Print Screen) are your friend.

@FrenchFrog wrote:

You shoud make a backup of your settings before update and restore your settings with this backup after the update.

Restoring a backup after a major firmware flash may not work. You could end up restoring settings that are not compatible with the current configuration. There is no harm in trying it but be prepared to reset anyway.

Message 45 of 71
LWD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently updated my router firmware to V1.0.8.34_1.2.15 & I received an error after the download was complete.  My router status indicates I have the new firmware loaded however, since then, my download speeds have dropped by 2/3 which now is about the same as my upload speeds.  How do you reload the latest firmware?  Please help, thanks

Message 46 of 71

Did you "factory reset"? (See above.)

Message 47 of 71
LWD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did not factory defafault my router as it did not instruct me to.  I did reboot it with no success.

Message 48 of 71
Crazyharry
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Crazyharry wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Netgear has support pages for all its products. It then adds new firmware as it emerges from development. The new code then joins the list of different releases. (There are now well over a dozen versions for this router.) It is then up to users to decide whether to install it or not.

Around the same time, Netgear also adds the new code to the automated update process. (Not everyone spends their life hanging around on support pages.) Again, it is then up to users to decide if they want to risk flashing with new firmware.

Most software houses, including Microsoft, pace the rollout of updates. Partly it is to see if the first users see any new problems – most firmware gets beta tested – but it also eases the strain on the servers.

Sometimes the support version arrives before the server version, sometimes it is the other way round.

ElaineM, of the official support team, explained the rollout strategy some days ago. (See above.)

I was reacting to ElaineM, not knowing quoting wasn't automatically done with a reply to a post...

So let me just be clear what I meant: Putting up the changelog after you start your roll out of the new version, is the wrong way to it. You first put up the information for everyone to see, so that anyone with issues doesn't have to wait until your rollout is done. Having your customers to wait, is not only extremely customer unfriendly but it's also plain dumb because it will hurt your business.

Message 49 of 71

@Crazyharry wrote:

Putting up the changelog after you start your roll out of the new version, is the wrong way to it. You first put up the information for everyone to see, so that anyone with issues doesn't have to wait until your rollout is done.

I can understand the complaint now that you have explained it clearly.

It does seem odd and is not how Netgear has done this sort of thing in the past.

They normally put the firmware on the support pages first and then roll out on the update server later.

In the past this has upset people who rely on autoupdate to deliver new firmware.

Doing it as they have means that the new firmware arrives with no guidance at all. This is maybe why people have not been through the factory reset process. Decent release notes should have flagged this up as something to do.

Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7