Re: Nighthawk R7000 Updated to Firmware Version: V1.0.8.34

I got the firmware update 1.0.8..... thru my router to
Havent upgraded yet but strange there no info about it on the net gear website
Everything is working grest so not sure about upgrading yet
Message 51 of 71

@Ardiev wrote:

Everything is working grest so not sure about upgrading yet

You could wait until release notes turn up on the support pages.

Then you'll know what Netgear is inflicting on you.

Message 52 of 71
shamarin
Virtuoso

zip file of this firmware is now available on server http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.8.34_1.2.15.zip. Also there is an article for this version. It says that new features is only data collection and this version is only for North America.

Message 53 of 71
shamarin
Virtuoso

Mannually update my router to this FW version. Bug with IGMP Proxy delay is not fixed.

Message 54 of 71
Neu318
Aspirant

My Nest thermostat has been dropping every so often since the firmware upgrade.  Also, my iPhone disappears from the list of attached devices.  This firmware is buggy.  Netgear, please fix!

Message 55 of 71
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Neu318 Did you try factory resetting the unit?

Message 56 of 71
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"This "analytics data" sounds like spyware to me. Do I actually have a real chance to turn it off before it's sent when the router boots back up? Has anyone inspected what is actually sent vs what Netgear claims?"

I think, as a culture, we have learned that innocent statement like this ("trust us......") have to be treated with a healthy dose of scepticism.  I, for one, will not using any further firmware upgrades unless I have absolutely no option.

Message 57 of 71
gxcare
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

I really appreciate your support, but you should let your designers understand that resetting the unit after an upgrate should not be the normal way of handling these situations. The simple reason is that if some wrong setting is propagated from an old official release to a new one, it is design fault of Netgear which causes all of us to lose a lot of time to reconfigure our networks. You are actually avoiding design/test costs, moving the cost on your customers, which at the end will not be happy and remember this the next time they will buy a router...

Giuseppe

Customer

Message 58 of 71
avtella
Prodigy

Not every update requires it but some updates have major changes which require a complete reset, unless you dont want any major changes or improvements. Even on an iPhone or Android there are times where you are better off resetting due to issues post upgrade.

Message 59 of 71
Neu318
Aspirant

Elaine, I did the factory reset and my nest thermostat still kept disconnecting.  I have since reverted to the previous firmware and it is working fine.  

Message 60 of 71
Diggie3
Luminary

Worry not, Neu318! I am 100% certain that thanks to collecting your MAC and IP address, Elaine and the engineering team will be able to tell you why your Nest keeps disconnecting! /s
Message 61 of 71
IrvSp
Master

Jumping into this thread rather than start a new one as it relates to this flash.

For the VERY FIRST time I've had a connection problem. Running this flash from almost when it came out. Never did anything but a reboot once right after the flash and never re-entered (or even altered) any settings.

Well today I left the computer for a few hours, and my wife left her's too. I'm connected via CAT6 cable on a 1GB NIC. Wife is wireless AC.

I returned with my display and PC 'sleeping' (quite normal and done many times before). Woke it up and this time the network connectoid icon on the Systray had that dreaded yellow ! icon on it? Huh? No Internet access. Wife then woke up her PC and same on her wireless connectoid.

The modem and R7000 are on a UPS and that should have kept them on if we had a power loss (or surge). No PC connected to that UPS so I can't really easily see its log. My PC has one and it showed no drop, and our microwave and stove (which loses the clock with any power disturbance) had the right time.

So I opened my Browser and went to 192.168.1.1... could NOT connect? Hmm... so I was forced to pull the power and try to reboot. It worked fine and we both got Internet back? Looked at the ISP supplied modem (which always had the Internet icon lit) and the log showed no drop?

Something 'happened' on the R7000 is my best guess? Like I said, this is the first time (as far as I can remember over the years with this Router) that I've had this happen. Odd...

Message 62 of 71

Stable on V1.0.7.6_1.1.99 

Am not going to update just so these analytics can be captured by Netgear... 

I'd opt out of anyway, so there is absolutely no need for me to upgrade, reset and reconfigure.

Thanks but no thanks   

Message 63 of 71
RW_MP
Aspirant

My SmartThings hub drops out at least three times a week after installing firmware Version: V1.0.8.34 on my R7000 router.  Very disappointed that the firmware is untested.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 64 of 71
gxcare
Aspirant

I did a factory reset as suggested many times in this forum, but then installed asuswrt-merlin and I have never been happier with my router Smiley Happy

Message 65 of 71
kfh777
Aspirant

My R7000 with 1.0.8.34 installed will not enable the 5Ghz channel.  The check mark is there but greyed out as is the SSID which only states NetGear23 not NetGear23 5G as it did with earlier versions of the software. Will your new release fix that?

Message 66 of 71

Where are you?

Firmware Version 1.0.8.34 is for North America Only.

If you are in North America, check that the router is set for the correct region.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 67 of 71
bripab007
Tutor

I noticed quite similar behavior after upgrading to 1.0.8.34. Random disconnects and such.

After reverting back to previous firmware, everything's returned to normal.

Message 68 of 71
kfh777
Aspirant

Yes.  I'm in North America.  I'll try new posting.  So far the best community advice is to revert to an earlier version than 1.0.8.34

Thank you.

Message 69 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Try to reset the router to factory default after the update and manually reconfigure it.

Message 70 of 71

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Try to reset the router to factory default after the update and manually reconfigure it.

There are people who visit this forum who seem to think that a factory reset is akin to witchcraft. They are so averse to the idea that they won't even try it, no matter that it is a reversible process if you backup your savings and retain the option of reverting to older firmware. They would rather reverse engineer their devices and rewrite its internal software.

It might help if someone explained why a factory reset is appropriate. I'll start with my own theory.

As I understand it, the firmware is only a part of the device's internal memory. That memory also holds settings and instructions that come from the configuration that people have set up. Some of those settings may not work with the new firmware. So it helps to start from scratch with a clean memory. Then the settings can write new data into the device's memory that are compatible with the new firmware.

If this is not a legitimate explanation of what is going on, perhaps someone could put me right.

Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7