Nighthawk R7000 Very slow Wifi but fast ethernet

HazEm
Guide

Nighthawk R7000 Very slow Wifi but fast ethernet

So i bought this rounter 2 years ago. everything was working perfectly till my provider decided to upgrade my Speed which is now 100mb.

i was getting full speed on ethernet but wifi am getting only 25-30 mb tops.

i tried everything from refreshing my account with the provider, I reseted my router to default settings, i changed the MTU, I disabled QOS, WMW, restarting , reboting, latest firmware update 1.0.7..... nothing works.

am testing the speed on my laptop and iphone which both support AC wifi.

any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23
HazEm
Guide

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Very slow Wifi but fast ethernet

i even tried changing channels

Message 2 of 23
netwrks
Master

You didn't mention what wireless speeds you were getting, before the upgrade.. Also, leave WMM enabled.

Message 3 of 23
HazEm
Guide

my old speed was 50mb. i was getting it both on WiFi and ethernet. also i tried individualy enabiling and disabling options and test. nothing worked out. even installed wifi analizer to check for channels. my 2.4HZ channel is set to 6 since its the best channel for my surrouding with least interfernce. my 5HZ has only 4 channel options 38 40 44 48 and theres no auto option. am going crazy here :S i even tried disassembling and cleaning the antenas cause i thought maybe its a hardware issue. no luck.

Message 4 of 23
netwrks
Master

If you upgraded your router firmware, then reset the router to factory default, and reconfigure from scratch.Under wireless settings ensure mode is at max. The 5ghz channel selection should represent the country you live in, (I hope)..

Message 5 of 23
HazEm
Guide

Already tried that am afraid. What bugs me is that am getting full speed over ethernet. And other wifi devices in my house are all getting low speeds so i know that its not an issue with my laptop. Could it be a router problem in the hardware or maybe antenas ?
Message 6 of 23
HazEm
Guide

The speed did improve a bit when i lowered the MTU from 1495 to 1400 but thats as far as i could do. I will take screenshots and post them here of my settings
Message 7 of 23
mso02005
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem....

Ethernet connection to my R7000 download speed is 300+ Mbps

Wifi Connection download speed is less than 30Mbps

I tried all the basic stuff--channel interference, 2.4g vs. 5g etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Could the new firmware v 1.0.7.2 be the problem?

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 23
HazEm
Guide

here's what i did. after making sure i have the latest firware, i restarted my router to default settings (Again) but this time i DIDNT TOUCH ANY OF THE SETTINGS. the only thing i did is that i put a password on the router settings and my network, i even kept the same network name as NETGEAR bla bla....... out of my 100 mb i was getting 85 mb on wifi which was fantastic but then after connecting a couple of phones the speed came down a bit.(its back to 50 mb on all my devices) i dont know. am forcing my devices to connect to my 5hz since all of them support AC wifi. the speed is hit and miss still. when i restart the router its great then after an hour it gets cut in half, i think its related to the placement of the router or maybe something else. i honestly dont care anymore. am too disappointed that i bought this router for 250 USD which is expensive for a router just so i wouldnt have to restart it everyday. i think i will have to look for another brand or model in sometime. any help on this thread is still highly appreciated.

Message 9 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi HazEm,

How many devices are connected to the network? Please be informed that the more devices connected to the network the slower the connection you can get. The  Internet speed will be shared to all devices connected to the network. It is expected that the speed will be lesser once you have added more devices to the network.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi HazEm,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 11 of 23
Jcf1975
Tutor

I have the same isseu and i see on the internet people with the same problems...

treid everything but the speed is for so much expensive router extreme bad...

Isp is delevering 300mb but wirelles i get 15 mb.......netgear is doing nothing...

Message 12 of 23
Glitchfixin
Tutor

Model Nighthawk R7000
Firmware 1.0.7.2
ISP Wow
Speed 110 Mbps
Modem Arris SB6190

I am having the same slow wifi issues. My issue started with certain apps not working on wifi my, but my wifi speed was normal . I thought it was a modem issue and went from SB6141 to SB6190. Installed new modem and still certains apps would not work when on home wifi. After a few speed test my wifi at first it was fine then it would not go over 30 Mbps. I did a factory reset on router and those apps started working, but wifi speed is still at best 30 Mbps. Connecting directly to modem or router my speeds are fine. The only thing I have not done is downgrade firmware version.
Message 13 of 23
SamirD
Prodigy

So here's what I would try--downgrade the firmware and see if that helps.

This problem definitely sounds like a programming bug as the speed works fine at reboot and then progressively gets slower the longer it is on (memory leak).  Hopefully this issue doesn't exist in a previous version of the firmware.

And for the record, even most $250 small business class routers need regular rebooting to be kept working 100%.  If you want rock solid reliability, that's the world of enterprise routers that starts at $1000+ without the required yearly service and support contract...

Message 14 of 23
Glitchfixin
Tutor

I tried downgrading router firmware to 1.0.5.64 and then did a factory reset. My wifi is still at max 30 Mbps. I need help.
Message 15 of 23
SamirD
Prodigy

Bummer.  Did it ever spike up to normal?  Or was it just 30 the whole time?

Are there any other firmwares you could try?  It does seem like the hardware is capable, but that the firmware bugs are holding it back.

Message 16 of 23
pcnlo
Aspirant

Starting to think the router should be called the R7000 (Nightmare) router.  Same issue as most have seen  300+ download connected but <30 on wifi.  I have tried everything.  Tried numerous firmwares etc.  About ready to toss this $200+ POS to the street and find something else unless there are any other suggestions from anyone.  I am open to suggestions.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Best not to revive long-dead threads.

What wifi client are you testing the speed with?  What speed is your ISP service (download/upload) ?

Message 18 of 23
brandongoblue2
Aspirant

Hmm nobody has an answer here? Makes me question weather or not this product even works. I have the same issue, through the wifi I only get half of what I'm sopposed to get. I get all my speed through my isp router but cants get it all through stupid NETGEAR
Message 19 of 23
William10a
Master

One simple question the modem you are using is it a modem/router (more then one lan port on it's back) from your isp and is it's wifi turned on?

Message 20 of 23
brandongoblue2
Aspirant

Yes
Message 21 of 23
Jcf1975
Tutor

I solved the problem after callong several times with support.... i take the nighthawk out of my house... put it in a box and i now have a airport extreme from apple..... bloody fast
Message 22 of 23
Jcf1975
Tutor

I spend a lot of time and money and netgear does nothing...never netgear again... what a shame for a very expensive router... they dont give a **bleep** about there customers... and there is something wrong with there routers...to much articles with the same problem on the internet.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E