Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 WAN IPv6

I am upgrading from IPv4 to IPv6 (which is why I bought the R7000) and I have configured my R7000 according to my ISP's instructions and the internal LAN IPv6 works perfectly. The old IPv4 connection worked perfectly too. However I cannot connect out over IPv6 and my ISP says that my router isn't responding to pings. I have tried to ping to a well-known address and have included the Google DNS address but nothing seems to help. I'm running firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 and I've seen that this has some issues.

So my question is, and it's very simple: does this router support IPv6? And by "support" I mean can I configure it and forget about it for years on end and it will just do the right thing vis-a-vis IPv6 addresses, just as it could with IPv4?

Message 1 of 18
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 WAN IPv6

First of all, did you ENABLE IPV6 on the router? I assume you did (under the Advanced --> Advanced Setup --> IPV6 setting) as you said you configured the router and the LAN works.

Secondly, have you tried this site, http://testmyipv6.com/? What are the results?

Thirdly your router WILL NOT respond to a PING from the WAN unless you set it to (Advanced --> WAN Setup --> check 'Respond to Ping of Internet Port).

Lastly, since firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 is known to have issue, why not rollback to V1.0.4.30 with is the last 'official' firmware and give it a try? If you do do that, RESET the router and re-enter all your settings to be sure.

Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Master

More info to look at, http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24006/~/how-do-i-set-up-an-ipv6-internet-connection-on....

Also you might try using IPV6 direct via the modem. Maybe there is a problem from the ISP and if you can't use it that way they should be able to rectify that?

Message 3 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, IPv6 is enabled, testmyipv6 says I'm IPv4 only, and ping is already enabled. I guess I'll try v1.0.4 - will that remove any functionality, and will I be able to redownload 1.0.6?

Message 4 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

You're too quick with your responses :-)

I already tried that and my ISP has checked everything - they blame the router and have recommended I try something more trustworthy like the Mikrotik.

Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Master

I don't think you can get V1.0.6 anymore, at least not from NG. Maybe stored somewhere else by someone? Might find a link in another thread?

There is also a V1.0.5.62 beta available to try as well.

I would remove the router and go straight to the modem and test. That is where the ISP would try to ping, your WAN IP Address, they can't reach your router. Maybe the modem isn't IPV6 capable? That test will determine that one way or the other.

Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

IPV_6.jpgI use auto detect for IPV6............  IPV6 address should be populated first..............When making router changes be sure to reboot PC before checking for IPV6

Message 8 of 18
Highlighted
Luminary

IPV6 does not function properly with the 7000 and most likely every other router Netgear makes. Netgear has the firewall blocking all ICMP/V6 requests and they refuse to change this in there firmware. Unfortuanly this issue causes IPv6 to not work as intended no firmware they have released to the public has a fix for this and probably won't for quite some time. If you need true working V6 then you will need to buy another router from a different manufacturer. 

Many people have have tried to work with Netgear on this and they refuse to change this even though it's required for V6 to work correctly. They say it's a security risk it is NOT its the way it works. 

Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Why does the test say passed if as you say IPV6 doesn't work. I don't understand?

Ipv6 test.jpg

Message 10 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

testIPV6.jpg

Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I disabled IPV4 on client and only 1 site worked using IPV6

WTF

Sorry I doubled you. What A Fing scam nitgear is pulling>

Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Luminary

@searay wrote:

WTF

Yep it's a eye opener. One that has been going on for a very long time. To bad to I like Netgear from a hardware stand point but there buggy software is a deal breaker.  : - (

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

Please try to use the beta firmware v1.0.5.62 and check if the same problem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-62/td-p/1078114

Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am using the beta.

Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Guru

@searay wrote:

WTF

Very few websites on the Internet are IPv6-capable.  Anyway, this is a different issue than Jim769's.

Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Luminary

@TheEther wrote:

@searay wrote:

WTF

Very few websites on the Internet are IPv6-capable.  Anyway, this is a different issue than Jim769's.

Maybe not the exact same issue but it just shows Netgears implementation of IPv6 is borked and has been for a long time. Look I am not trying to be negative here just simply pointing out the facts and after working with Netgear on this subject a year ago and still they refuse to acknowledge the problem. Like I said great hardware very poor software and support. 

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

Have you tried using the latest firmware posted in support site?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30695

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements